REFLECTOR:Brake Bleeding
Ronnie Brown
reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 17:31:12 -0400
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
------=_NextPart_000_0049_01C32EAC.EC129800
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I got a new master cylinder for my right brake last week, installed it and found that I still had a poor pedal - first
press and the right rudder/brake pedal was on the canard bulk head, a couple of pumps and I had a good pedal. At least
it felt firm after pumping.
Today, I bit the bullet and removed the right wheel and caliper, and back bled the brakes again with the caliper still
connected to the nyloflo and with the caliper pointing straight up. Sure enough, air was hiding out between the three
caliper cylinders. When I got through, I now have a great pedal on the right side, even better than the left side.
I had to install a shim on the right wheel several months ago and I guess I got some air in the caliper at that time.
You can get some success by collapsing the nose gear and putting the Velocity in a praying position (Long EZ style) and
get most of the air out but apparently not all of it.
Ronnie
50 hour inspection - fixing little squawks
http://home.sprintmail.com/~rolandbrown/page10.html
------=_NextPart_000_0049_01C32EAC.EC129800
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I got a new master cylinder for my right brake =
last week,=20
installed it and found that I still had a poor pedal - first press and =
the right=20
rudder/brake pedal was on the canard bulk head, a couple of pumps and I =
had a=20
good pedal. At least it felt firm after pumping.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Today, I bit the bullet and removed the right wheel =
and=20
caliper, and back bled the brakes again with the caliper still connected =
to the=20
nyloflo and with the caliper pointing straight up. Sure enough, =
air was=20
hiding out between the three caliper cylinders. When I got =
through, I now=20
have a great pedal on the right side, even better than the left=20
side.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I had to install a shim on the right wheel several =
months ago=20
and I guess I got some air in the caliper at that time. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You can get some success by collapsing the nose gear =
and=20
putting the Velocity in a praying position (Long EZ style) and get most =
of the=20
air out but apparently not all of it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>50 hour inspection - fixing little =
squawks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://home.sprintmail.com/~rolandbrown/page10.html">http://home.=
sprintmail.com/~rolandbrown/page10.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=_NextPart_000_0049_01C32EAC.EC129800--