REFLECTOR:Low fuel light

KeithHallsten reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:51:53 -0700


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01C35143.1A1135A0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Re: REFLECTOR:Low fuel lightRene',

I'm not flying yet, so my comments can be discounted accordingly.  I =
plan to install a manual vent shut-off valve between the sump tank and =
the vent manifold.  The result will be that the vent system can allow =
the main strake tanks to drain, but can't introduce air into the sump =
tank.  I have a theory that the vent line to the sump tank causes more =
problems than it solves, once the initial "burp" of air is allowed to =
escape from the sump tank (before engine start).

Keith Hallsten
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rene Dugas=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 4:00 PM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Low fuel light


  Thanks Jack,

  I felt that maybe the boundary layer was causing a vacuum allowing air =
to enter the sump but not the tanks.  I don not want to over pressure my =
tanks and rupture them at high pressures.  I can splice a gage into the =
line but wanted to glean info from the informed (flying) few.  Since all =
three tanks are connected to the manifold I remain perplexed.  Thanks =
for the info on the Vision.  Two engine builders told me significant =
fluctuations with the engine pump are common but no pressure numbers =
were available.  I talked to Lycoming.  He air might be in the line but =
I don't see how.  Thanks=20

  Rene'



  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On =
Behalf Of Jack Sheehan
  Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 4:35 PM
  To: reflector@tvbf.org
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Low fuel light



  Rene'

  I can not say much about the low fuel light except that I have not had =
that on my XL-RG and I am not extending the vent. Mine is as you =
described in the plumbing except the vent line under the belly is cut =
off almost flush with the fuselage. I have tested my sump warning light =
durin the test flight period by getting pretty low on fuel and then =
pushing the nose over and maintain a dive for enough time for the sump =
light to start to flicker The low pressure warning from the VM1000 is a =
common indication. I have spoken with Vision micro about it and the good =
news is the VM1000 is working fine and the bad news is the lack of =
pressure is real. it is the way the lycoming pump works and if you have =
an analog system with low sensitivity you never see it. They have sent =
me a snubber to install in the sensor line which will in theory reduce =
thesensitivity. ther is a similar snubber device in the manifold =
pressure system. I will let you know when I get some free time to =
install it.

  Jack

  N55XL

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01C35143.1A1135A0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re: REFLECTOR:Low fuel light</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Tahoma;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Trebuchet MS;
}
@page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; }
P.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
A:link {
	COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial
}
DIV.Section1 {
	page: Section1
}
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US vLink=3Dpurple link=3Dblue bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Rene',</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm not flying yet, so my comments can =
be=20
discounted accordingly.&nbsp; I plan to install a manual vent shut-off =
valve=20
between the sump tank and the vent manifold.&nbsp; The result will be =
that the=20
vent system can allow the main strake tanks to drain, but can't =
introduce air=20
into the sump tank.&nbsp; I have a theory that the vent line to the sump =
tank=20
causes more problems than it solves, once the initial "burp" of air is =
allowed=20
to escape from the sump tank (before engine start).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Keith Hallsten</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Drdugas@bayou.com href=3D"mailto:rdugas@bayou.com">Rene =
Dugas</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, July 23, 2003 =
4:00=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:Low fuel =

  light</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><BR></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial color=3Dnavy size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Thanks=20
  Jack,</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial color=3Dnavy size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I felt that =
maybe the=20
  boundary layer was causing a vacuum allowing air to enter the sump but =
not the=20
  tanks.&nbsp; I don not want to over pressure my tanks and rupture them =
at high=20
  pressures.&nbsp; I can splice a gage into the line but wanted to glean =
info=20
  from the informed (flying) few. &nbsp;Since all three tanks are =
connected to=20
  the manifold I remain perplexed.&nbsp; Thanks for the info on the=20
  Vision.&nbsp; Two engine builders told me significant fluctuations =
with the=20
  engine pump are common but no pressure numbers were available.&nbsp; I =
talked=20
  to Lycoming.&nbsp; He air might be in the line but I don=92t see =
how.&nbsp;=20
  Thanks </SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial color=3Dnavy size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial">Rene=92</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial color=3Dnavy size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT face=3DTahoma =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">-----Original=20
  Message-----<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">From:</SPAN></B>=20
  reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] <B><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">On Behalf Of </SPAN></B>Jack =
Sheehan<BR><B><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Sent:</SPAN></B> Wednesday, July 23, 2003 =
4:35=20
  PM<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">To:</SPAN></B>=20
  reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: =
bold">Subject:</SPAN></B>=20
  Re: REFLECTOR:Low fuel light</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <DIV>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT =
face=3D"Trebuchet MS"=20
  color=3D#663333 size=3D3><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: #663333; FONT-FAMILY: 'Trebuchet =
MS'">Rene'</SPAN></FONT></P></DIV>
  <DIV>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT =
face=3D"Trebuchet MS"=20
  color=3D#663333 size=3D3><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: #663333; FONT-FAMILY: 'Trebuchet =
MS'">I can not=20
  say much about the low fuel light except that I have not had that on =
my XL-RG=20
  and I am not extending the vent. Mine is as you described in the =
plumbing=20
  except the vent line under the belly is cut off almost flush with the=20
  fuselage. I have tested my sump warning light durin the test flight =
period by=20
  getting pretty low on fuel and then pushing the nose over and maintain =
a dive=20
  for enough time for the sump light to start to flicker The low =
pressure=20
  warning from the VM1000 is a common indication. I have spoken with =
Vision=20
  micro about it and the good news is the VM1000 is working fine and the =
bad=20
  news is the lack of pressure is real. it is the way the lycoming pump =
works=20
  and if you have an analog system with low sensitivity you never see =
it. They=20
  have sent me a snubber to install in the sensor line which will in =
theory=20
  reduce thesensitivity. ther is a similar snubber device in the =
manifold=20
  pressure system. I will let you know when I get some free time to =
install=20
  it.</SPAN></FONT></P></DIV>
  <DIV>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT =
face=3D"Trebuchet MS"=20
  color=3D#663333 size=3D3><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: #663333; FONT-FAMILY: 'Trebuchet =
MS'">Jack</SPAN></FONT></P></DIV>
  <DIV>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT =
face=3D"Trebuchet MS"=20
  color=3D#663333 size=3D3><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: #663333; FONT-FAMILY: 'Trebuchet =
MS'">N55XL</SPAN></FONT></P></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01C35143.1A1135A0--