REFLECTOR:Moving the non-flying Velocity

Alexander Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:21:55 -0500


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--Boundary_(ID_JBkYctxTD8zPI9O0blrang)
Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

Jeff,

If the firewall can not withstand the loads imposed by the weight of the
aircraft, plus the inertial loads caused by the movement of the trailer, and
a reasonable amount of wind loading.   then it should be re-designed-
but from my guestimation, it is by far the strongest area of the aircraft,
just make sure that you use grade 8 fasteners to attach it to the trailer,
and a few tie down straps should help too- one thing though- about the short
platform for the firewall to sit on, since the center spar outboard sections
trail the firewall by I am guessing 8-10 inches or so, but keep in mind that
there will be some good loading on this platform, so build it robustly-, and
make it as large as possible so that the load will be transferred to the
fuselage without long spans of the firewall to support the load. -I would
build a box from 2x10s, and 3/4 plywood and use glue and screws (not nails)
to hold it together...  I thought about moving it that way too actually, but
I didn't have that far to go to get to my hanger (about 3,490 miles less
than you have) so it wasn't worth the extra hassle for me- I just moved
during the early morning to avoid traffic and the cops.....

Alex
  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf
Of Jeffrey Clough
  Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 12:09 AM
  To: reflector@awpi.com
  Subject: REFLECTOR:Moving the non-flying Velocity


  Ok...I give up....I will never complete my Velocity 173 RG as long as it
is in a hangar in Colorado and I live in Alaska...soooooo...I am going down
to put it on trailer and truck it 3500 miles to my house here in
AK.......wide load and all...I am wondering...if I gut it and remove the
engine and mount if I can move it like a rocket on the launch pad in an
upright position.....was thinking of building a 'box' out of 2x10 lumber to
'mount' on the firewall engine mount holes and setting the Velocity fuselage
upright on that and strapping the 'box' and gear down to the trailer for the
long haul..thus no wide load problems....
    Does anyone have any idea if the firewall can take the stresses of this
road trip? I BELIEVE it can but do not know.... Moving it ...one way or the
other,   THANX    Jeff Clough

--Boundary_(ID_JBkYctxTD8zPI9O0blrang)
Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=GENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style="COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=935170813-15072003><FONT size=2>Jeff,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=935170813-15072003><FONT size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=935170813-15072003><FONT size=2>If the firewall can not 
withstand the loads imposed by the weight of the aircraft, plus the inertial 
loads caused by the movement of the trailer,&nbsp;and a reasonable amount of 
wind loading. &nbsp; then it should be 
re-designed-&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; but from my guestimation, it is by 
far the strongest area of the aircraft, just make sure that you use grade 8 
fasteners to attach it to the trailer, and a few tie down straps should help 
too- one thing though-&nbsp;about the&nbsp;short platform for the firewall to 
sit on, since the center spar outboard sections trail the firewall by I&nbsp;am 
guessing 8-10 inches or so, but keep in mind that there will be some good 
loading on this platform, so build it robustly-, and make it as large as 
possible so that the load will be transferred to the fuselage without long spans 
of the firewall to support the load. -I would build a box from 2x10s, and 3/4 
plywood and use glue and screws (not nails) to hold&nbsp;it together...&nbsp; I 
thought about moving it that way too actually, but I didn't have that far to go 
to get to my hanger (about 3,490 miles less than you have) so it wasn't worth 
the extra hassle for me- I just moved during the early morning to avoid traffic 
and the cops.....</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=935170813-15072003><FONT size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=935170813-15072003><FONT size=2>Alex</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma 
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> reflector-admin@tvbf.org 
  [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Jeffrey 
  Clough<BR><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, July 15, 2003 12:09 AM<BR><B>To:</B> 
  reflector@awpi.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Moving the non-flying 
  Velocity<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><STRONG><FONT size=4>Ok...I give up....I will never complete my Velocity 
  173 RG as long as it is in a hangar in Colorado and I live in 
  Alaska...soooooo...I am going down to put it on trailer and truck it 3500 
  miles to my house here in AK.......wide load and all...I am wondering...if I 
  gut it and remove the engine and mount if I can move it like a rocket on the 
  launch pad in an upright position.....was thinking of building a 'box' out of 
  2x10 lumber to 'mount' on the firewall engine mount holes&nbsp;and setting the 
  Velocity fuselage&nbsp;upright on that and strapping the 'box' and gear down 
  to the trailer for the long haul..thus no wide load 
  problems....</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
  <DIV><STRONG><FONT size=4>&nbsp; Does anyone have any idea if the firewall can 
  take the stresses of this road trip? I BELIEVE it can but do not know.... 
  Moving it ...one way or the other,&nbsp;&nbsp; THANX&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Jeff 
  Clough</FONT></STRONG></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_JBkYctxTD8zPI9O0blrang)--