REFLECTOR:Nose Gear Numbers

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:24:41 -0400


I have some solid numbers instead of my usual anecdotal observations.  I'm
running the mains at 40 psig and the nose at 20 psig.  The turning force for
the nose gear is 8# to break it lose and 7# to keep it turning.  I've flown
at 500# under gross and at gross with two landings each way (and one in a
nasty cross wind at gross), and there was not a hint of nose gear shimmy on
touch down or shutter during braking.

In sum, both the nose wheel air pressure and recommended turning force for
the nose gear is approx. 1/2 of recommended values.  I suspect, both have to
be at half value to make it work.  You probably can't have high air pressure
and loose nose gear, or vice versus.  

What I like best about it is the ease of turning.  Even at slow speeds, a
firm tap on the brake instead of a punch will turn the nose.  Is it a
steerable nose gear...no, but closer, and without the weight and complexity
of one.

If you try it and it works for you, great, but I'm not helping to pay for
any props!

Chuck