REFLECTOR:Fuel Proof Grease
Dennis Martin
reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 20:40:44 -0600
--============_-1150948045==_ma============
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" ; format="flowed"
Hello Mack,
That's a great offer. I've had a very slow leak in the fuel cap on
the pilot-side strake - I suspect it's the "O" ring.
My "O" ring size: 2 and 1/2" OD measuring across the center of the
cap with the "O" ring in place. When the "O" ring is off, it's a bit
smaller - like about 1/16" smaller. My caps have been on for about
five years, so there's little if any stretch left in the rubber.
They are way past replacement time, and I love your solution to use a
fatter ring that will likely seal better. I'll combine that with the
"magic" grease guys are talking about and maybe it will be bullet
proof.
Here's my address in large type so you can print it out and tape it
to an envelope:
Dennis Martin
3990 North 480 East
Provo, UT 84604
If you don't mind, while you're at it, please buy an extra set for me
and I'll keep them in the freezer. Please be sure to put a return
address on the envelope so I can reimburse you for your trouble.
I'm getting excited. I finished plumbing my fuel system this week
and hope to fire the engine up in about a month. The Catto prop is
on the way. I just finished installing redundant fuel filters and
two Mercedes Benz fuel pumps. I've got a V-6 NASCAR dry sump Chevy
Performance block. Only the block is Chevy - all other components
are high-end after market parts. Leaky fuel caps are the last thing
I want to worry about, so your message is very timely.
All the best,
Dennis Martin
>Hi Dennis
>I found them at a local hydraulic shop. Understand the O rings are
>not an aviation product but they are fuel proof have not had any cap
>leak after installing 1/8 inch rings on X.L. Give me your home
>address and I will send you pair.
>Please confirm your O.D. Diamater.I am not sure all caps are same size.
>Mack Murphree
--============_-1150948045==_ma============
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"
<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<html><head><style type="text/css"><!--
blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
--></style><title>Re: REFLECTOR:Fuel Proof
Grease</title></head><body>
<div>Hello Mack,</div>
<div><br></div>
<div>That's a great offer. I've had a very slow leak in the fuel
cap on the pilot-side strake - I suspect it's the "O" ring.
</div>
<div><br></div>
<div>My "O" ring size: 2 and 1/2" OD
measuring across the center of the cap<u><b> with the "O"
ring in place</b></u>. When the "O" ring is off, it's
a bit smaller - like about 1/16" smaller. My caps have been
on for about five years, so there's little if any stretch left in the
rubber. They are way past replacement time, and I love your
solution to use a fatter ring that will likely seal better. I'll
combine that with the "magic" grease guys are talking about
and maybe it will be bullet proof. </div>
<div><br></div>
<div>Here's my address in large type so you can print it out and tape
it to an envelope: </div>
<div><br></div>
<div><font size="+3">Dennis Martin</font></div>
<div><font size="+3">3990 North 480 East</font></div>
<div><font size="+3">Provo, UT 84604</font></div>
<div><br></div>
<div><br></div>
<div>If you don't mind, while you're at it, please buy an extra set
for me and I'll keep them in the freezer. Please be sure
to put a return address on the envelope so I can reimburse you for
your trouble. </div>
<div><br></div>
<div>I'm getting excited. I finished plumbing my fuel system
this week and hope to fire the engine up in about a month.
The Catto prop is on the way. I just finished installing
redundant fuel filters and two Mercedes Benz fuel pumps. I've
got a V-6 NASCAR dry sump Chevy Performance block. Only the
block is Chevy - all other components are high-end after market
parts. Leaky fuel caps are the last thing I want to worry
about, so your message is very timely.</div>
<div><br></div>
<div>All the best,</div>
<div>Dennis Martin </div>
<div><br></div>
<div><br></div>
<div><br></div>
<blockquote type="cite" cite><font face="Arial" size="-1"
color="#0000FF"><i>Hi Dennis<br>
I found them at a local hydraulic shop. Understand the O rings are not
an aviation product but they are fuel proof have not had any cap leak
after installing 1/8 inch rings on X.L. Give me your home address and
I will send you pair.<br>
Please confirm your O.D. Diamater.I am not sure all caps are same
size.<br>
Mack Murphree </i></font></blockquote>
<div><br></div>
</body>
</html>
--============_-1150948045==_ma============--