REFLECTOR:NACA inlet shape
reflector@tvbf.org
reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:51:19 -0400
I am using the NACA scoops that I cut & fitted myself from the fatory paper templates. The NACA feeds a plenum that is also the mounting system for the radiators. As I have said before, space constraints dictated that I put one radiator on top and one on bottom. The Factory NACA's seem to work fine on less efficient air cooled engines and I'm hoping I can get lucky with my water cooling system and boost cooler in the nose.
I came to the conclusion Alex did, that unusable flow would just blow by the scoop & not cause any drag. The ram scoops start compressing air back after the scoop flow "fills up".
It was much too complicated (and a lot less fun) to try and figure every single detail, so I am doing a slightly edumacated "that looks about right" (calculations included cubic inches of radiator area to HP on a known working system, and adjusted for my engine.)
One thing is for sure, the Velocity sure looks better without ugly scoop protrusions all over it, and I am sure that the NACA helps maintain as clean of flow to the prop as possible and reduces drag.
My plan is to test the current system, with the idea that I can always add a small lip to the back of the NACA if I have to. Yes, I know.. that is the turbulent area, but a small lip has to be less drag than a big ugly scoop hanging out beyond the boundry layer.
Wish me luck, and I'll keep you informed.
Kurt Winker.
173 FGE 4.3L Aluminum V-6 Chevy.