REFLECTOR:Nose wheel shimmy

Alexander Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:07:55 -0500


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--Boundary_(ID_/PJsQ4uX9dvyMt30Z70I9w)
Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

Re: REFLECTOR:Nose wheel shimmyAnother way to do it is to pull the tire, and
the axle and support the axel/tire assembly on the edge of 2 single edge
razor blades- there will be almost no rolling friction on the almost perfect
edge- and add the weights until the tire no longer wants to find any
particular favorite place to rest.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf
Of Dave Scharfenberg
  Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 1:46 PM
  To: reflector@tvbf.org
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Nose wheel shimmy


  My nose tire was way out of balance as it came.  I was able to balance it
by jacking up the front of the plane and spinning up the tire with an air
powered die grinder.  I used one of those 1" drum sander attachments without
the sandpaper drum installed.  You can really get that tire spinning!  Then
using stick-on lead weights and trial and error, I was able to get it to run
smoothly.  I used double stick tape on the weights until they were where I
wanted them and then used the self adhesive tape on the weights.  So far the
weights seem to be staying put.


  Dave Scharfenberg


  on 8/9/03 9:54 AM, SlvEgl99@aol.com at SlvEgl99@aol.com wrote:


    When I had shimmy I also had an out of balance front wheel. I removed it
and reinserted the axle in the bearings. I then bought two aluminum angle
irons about 3 feet long and set them up on my workbench, and levelled them
in every direction. I placed the wheel between the aluminum L's supported by
the axle and watched. The wheel turned. I got some aluminum weights from Big
"O" tires and applied them on the light side of the wheel, on the inner side
of the wheel. After installing about 3 weights I had a balanced wheel and
tire.

    The weights are held on by adhesive that is on the weights when I got
them. None have dropped off, due I suppose to the fact that they are held on
by centrificial force when the wheel is spinning.

    This in addition to keeping the fork tight seems to have resulted in a
very much smoother front gear.

    I suppose this is not as precise as spin balancing, but it worked for
me.

    Bob Wood



--Boundary_(ID_/PJsQ4uX9dvyMt30Z70I9w)
Content-type: text/html; charset=US-ASCII
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re: REFLECTOR:Nose wheel shimmy</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=864430501-12082003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>Another way to do it is to pull the tire, and the axle and 
support&nbsp;the axel/tire assembly on the edge of 2 single edge razor blades- 
there will be almost no rolling friction on the almost perfect edge- and add the 
weights until the tire no longer wants to find any particular favorite place to 
rest.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma 
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> reflector-admin@tvbf.org 
  [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Dave 
  Scharfenberg<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, August 11, 2003 1:46 PM<BR><B>To:</B> 
  reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Nose wheel 
  shimmy<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>My nose tire was way out of balance as it came. 
  &nbsp;I was able to balance it by jacking up the front of the plane and 
  spinning up the tire with an air powered die grinder. &nbsp;I used one of 
  those 1" drum sander attachments without the sandpaper drum installed. 
  &nbsp;You can really get that tire spinning! &nbsp;Then using stick-on lead 
  weights and trial and error, I was able to get it to run smoothly. &nbsp;I 
  used double stick tape on the weights until they were where I wanted them and 
  then used the self adhesive tape on the weights. &nbsp;So far the weights seem 
  to be staying put.<BR><BR><BR>Dave Scharfenberg<BR><BR><BR>on 8/9/03 9:54 AM, 
  SlvEgl99@aol.com at SlvEgl99@aol.com wrote:<BR><BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE><FONT size=2><FONT face=Arial>When I had shimmy I also had an 
    out of balance front wheel. I removed it and reinserted the axle in the 
    bearings. I then bought two aluminum angle irons about 3 feet long and set 
    them up on my workbench, and levelled them in every direction. I placed the 
    wheel between the aluminum L's supported by the axle and watched. The wheel 
    turned. I got some aluminum weights from Big "O" tires and applied them on 
    the light side of the wheel, on the inner side of the wheel. After 
    installing about 3 weights I had a balanced wheel and tire. <BR><BR>The 
    weights are held on by adhesive that is on the weights when I got them. None 
    have dropped off, due I suppose to the fact that they are held on by 
    centrificial force when the wheel is spinning.<BR><BR>This in addition to 
    keeping the fork tight seems to have resulted in a very much smoother front 
    gear.<BR><BR>I suppose this is not as precise as spin balancing, but it 
    worked for me.<BR><BR>Bob Wood</FONT></FONT> 
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_/PJsQ4uX9dvyMt30Z70I9w)--