REFLECTOR:Nose wheel shimmy

Dave Scharfenberg reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:45:41 -0500


> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

--MS_Mac_OE_3143457941_517009_MIME_Part
Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

My nose tire was way out of balance as it came.  I was able to balance it by
jacking up the front of the plane and spinning up the tire with an air
powered die grinder.  I used one of those 1" drum sander attachments without
the sandpaper drum installed.  You can really get that tire spinning!  Then
using stick-on lead weights and trial and error, I was able to get it to run
smoothly.  I used double stick tape on the weights until they were where I
wanted them and then used the self adhesive tape on the weights.  So far the
weights seem to be staying put.


Dave Scharfenberg


on 8/9/03 9:54 AM, SlvEgl99@aol.com at SlvEgl99@aol.com wrote:

When I had shimmy I also had an out of balance front wheel. I removed it and
reinserted the axle in the bearings. I then bought two aluminum angle irons
about 3 feet long and set them up on my workbench, and levelled them in
every direction. I placed the wheel between the aluminum L's supported by
the axle and watched. The wheel turned. I got some aluminum weights from Big
"O" tires and applied them on the light side of the wheel, on the inner side
of the wheel. After installing about 3 weights I had a balanced wheel and
tire. 

The weights are held on by adhesive that is on the weights when I got them.
None have dropped off, due I suppose to the fact that they are held on by
centrificial force when the wheel is spinning.

This in addition to keeping the fork tight seems to have resulted in a very
much smoother front gear.

I suppose this is not as precise as spin balancing, but it worked for me.

Bob Wood 



--MS_Mac_OE_3143457941_517009_MIME_Part
Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: REFLECTOR:Nose wheel shimmy</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
My nose tire was way out of balance as it came. &nbsp;I was able to balance=
 it by jacking up the front of the plane and spinning up the tire with an ai=
r powered die grinder. &nbsp;I used one of those 1&quot; drum sander attachm=
ents without the sandpaper drum installed. &nbsp;You can really get that tir=
e spinning! &nbsp;Then using stick-on lead weights and trial and error, I wa=
s able to get it to run smoothly. &nbsp;I used double stick tape on the weig=
hts until they were where I wanted them and then used the self adhesive tape=
 on the weights. &nbsp;So far the weights seem to be staying put.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Dave Scharfenberg<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
on 8/9/03 9:54 AM, SlvEgl99@aol.com at SlvEgl99@aol.com wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">When I had shimmy I also had =
an out of balance front wheel. I removed it and reinserted the axle in the b=
earings. I then bought two aluminum angle irons about 3 feet long and set th=
em up on my workbench, and levelled them in every direction. I placed the wh=
eel between the aluminum L's supported by the axle and watched. The wheel tu=
rned. I got some aluminum weights from Big &quot;O&quot; tires and applied t=
hem on the light side of the wheel, on the inner side of the wheel. After in=
stalling about 3 weights I had a balanced wheel and tire. <BR>
<BR>
The weights are held on by adhesive that is on the weights when I got them.=
 None have dropped off, due I suppose to the fact that they are held on by c=
entrificial force when the wheel is spinning.<BR>
<BR>
This in addition to keeping the fork tight seems to have resulted in a very=
 much smoother front gear.<BR>
<BR>
I suppose this is not as precise as spin balancing, but it worked for me.<B=
R>
<BR>
Bob Wood</FONT></FONT> <BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>


--MS_Mac_OE_3143457941_517009_MIME_Part--