REFLECTOR:Brake Fluid Mystery

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:46:53 -0400


When you're parked, if you depress the brakes hard and hold them there, do
they stay rock solid or do they slowly depress until you have to take a new
stroke to keep them engaged...evidence of a leak somewhere.  A leak of that
size should become pretty evident if you do 5 or 10 minutes of pedal
pressure in your parking spot.  The fluid should start pooling somewhere!

I was surprised by the yellowing of the dot 5 fluid when exposed to moisture
and air.  I did a brake bleed job a couple weeks ago and some spilled into a
shallow plastic container, as I was being rained on, so there is max air
exposure and water/fluid in the pan and it's still purple.  Odd?

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of John Dibble
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2003 3:55 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR:Brake Fluid Mystery


My co-pilot side reservoir is losing fluid, about 15 cc (1/2 oz) during
a 6.5 hr flight (1 TOL).  I can't find the leak.  Inside the nose is dry
as a bone.  I occasionally see a drop of yellow fluid on the rear corner
of the pilot side gear door.  I am adding a purple colored dot 5 fluid.
Any ideas?

John


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose