REFLECTOR:Nose wheel shimmy

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 14:16:53 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00DD_01C35E80.E21BBF80
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Ditto for me.  I only had to add 1/4 oz. and my nose wheel runs =
smoothly.

Ronnie
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: SlvEgl99@aol.com=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 10:54 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Nose wheel shimmy


  When I had shimmy I also had an out of balance front wheel. I removed =
it and reinserted the axle in the bearings. I then bought two aluminum =
angle irons about 3 feet long and set them up on my workbench, and =
levelled them in every direction. I placed the wheel between the =
aluminum L's supported by the axle and watched. The wheel turned. I got =
some aluminum weights from Big "O" tires and applied them on the light =
side of the wheel, on the inner side of the wheel. After installing =
about 3 weights I had a balanced wheel and tire.=20

  The weights are held on by adhesive that is on the weights when I got =
them. None have dropped off, due I suppose to the fact that they are =
held on by centrificial force when the wheel is spinning.

  This in addition to keeping the fork tight seems to have resulted in a =
very much smoother front gear.

  I suppose this is not as precise as spin balancing, but it worked for =
me.

  Bob Wood=20

------=_NextPart_000_00DD_01C35E80.E21BBF80
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ditto for me.&nbsp; I only had to add 1/4 oz. =
and&nbsp;my nose=20
wheel runs smoothly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3DSlvEgl99@aol.com =
href=3D"mailto:SlvEgl99@aol.com">SlvEgl99@aol.com</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, August 09, 2003 =
10:54=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Nose =
wheel=20
  shimmy</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT lang=3D0 =
face=3DArial size=3D2=20
  FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF">When I had shimmy I also had an out of balance =
front wheel.=20
  I removed it and reinserted the axle in the bearings. I then bought =
two=20
  aluminum angle irons about 3 feet long and set them up on my =
workbench, and=20
  levelled them in every direction. I placed the wheel between the =
aluminum L's=20
  supported by the axle and watched. The wheel turned. I got some =
aluminum=20
  weights from Big "O" tires and applied them on the light side of the =
wheel, on=20
  the inner side of the wheel. After installing about 3 weights I had a =
balanced=20
  wheel and tire. <BR><BR>The weights are held on by adhesive that is on =
the=20
  weights when I got them. None have dropped off, due I suppose to the =
fact that=20
  they are held on by centrificial force when the wheel is =
spinning.<BR><BR>This=20
  in addition to keeping the fork tight seems to have resulted in a very =
much=20
  smoother front gear.<BR><BR>I suppose this is not as precise as spin=20
  balancing, but it worked for me.<BR><BR>Bob Wood</FONT>=20
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00DD_01C35E80.E21BBF80--