REFLECTOR:Nose wheel shimmy

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 10:54:44 EDT


--part1_1a7.181da443.2c666534_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

When I had shimmy I also had an out of balance front wheel. I removed it and 
reinserted the axle in the bearings. I then bought two aluminum angle irons 
about 3 feet long and set them up on my workbench, and levelled them in every 
direction. I placed the wheel between the aluminum L's supported by the axle and 
watched. The wheel turned. I got some aluminum weights from Big "O" tires and 
applied them on the light side of the wheel, on the inner side of the wheel. 
After installing about 3 weights I had a balanced wheel and tire. 

The weights are held on by adhesive that is on the weights when I got them. 
None have dropped off, due I suppose to the fact that they are held on by 
centrificial force when the wheel is spinning.

This in addition to keeping the fork tight seems to have resulted in a very 
much smoother front gear.

I suppose this is not as precise as spin balancing, but it worked for me.

Bob Wood

--part1_1a7.181da443.2c666534_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">When I had shimmy I also had an out of balance front w=
heel. I removed it and reinserted the axle in the bearings. I then bought tw=
o aluminum angle irons about 3 feet long and set them up on my workbench, an=
d levelled them in every direction. I placed the wheel between the aluminum=20=
L's supported by the axle and watched. The wheel turned. I got some aluminum=
 weights from Big "O" tires and applied them on the light side of the wheel,=
 on the inner side of the wheel. After installing about 3 weights I had a ba=
lanced wheel and tire. <BR>
<BR>
The weights are held on by adhesive that is on the weights when I got them.=20=
None have dropped off, due I suppose to the fact that they are held on by ce=
ntrificial force when the wheel is spinning.<BR>
<BR>
This in addition to keeping the fork tight seems to have resulted in a very=20=
much smoother front gear.<BR>
<BR>
I suppose this is not as precise as spin balancing, but it worked for me.<BR=
>
<BR>
Bob Wood</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1a7.181da443.2c666534_boundary--