REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:14:16 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00A2_01C35CD5.0A2FCC80
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Re: REFLECTOR:Re:Velocity EuropeI got my instrument rating in 1998 =
before I started on the Velocity.

The Velocity is fine for IFR training, you'll just have to find a CFII =
that will train you in it.  Probably easier if you find an independent =
(but not necessarily).  A friend has a Europa that he took over to a =
local flight school and they agreed to train him IFR in it as long as he =
split the electricity into a standby bus and battery - all electric =
panel. He has done that and now we are finishing up his Dynon =
installation.

Another consideration, you probably need to check around and make sure =
you can find a FAA Designated Examiner who will give you the practical =
test in your Velocity.  =20

A difference between the King and Sporty's video.  The Sportys is more =
like a ground school - general coverage of the topic.  King is more of a =
test prep, they go over the test questions and the why of the answers.  =
You'll need both kinds.  And I found the PC based written test practice =
very helpful too.  I took practice tests until I could make three tests =
grading higher than 90.  Then I took the written (and scored a 92.5).

Ronnie
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Chuck Jensen=20
  To: 'reflector@tvbf.org'=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 11:28 AM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket


  That's very helpful.  I've done the King videos and was impressed with =
the teaching technique (of course, I have no standard of comparison; =
Sporty's may be just as good).  I do use flight following (my radio work =
was dreadful, now its only bad), but was curious; did you do your =
training in the 172 because you didn't have your Velo yet?  Or, is a 172 =
a slower, easier platform for training?

  I like immersing myself in something like the intense training of the =
10 day course but concur with the posting that there is legitimate =
concern about how much one retains from a situation like that.  However, =
as Ronnie pointed out, its only a license to start practicing for real.

  Finally, more than once, I've heard that plastic planes and lightening =
don't mix well; not that any planes benefit from lightening.  Since most =
young children don't read this forum, perhaps someone would share the =
highlights of the commingling of plastic-and-lightening.

  Chuck
    -----Original Message-----
    From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On =
Behalf Of Ronnie Brown
    Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 10:19 AM
    To: reflector@tvbf.org
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket


    Here's how I did it.  I am always trying to save money so this may =
not be best for everybody.  But it was enjoyable and worked for me.

    I read Gleim's instrument pilot manual.
    I practiced using Microsoft Flight Simulator (FS 98)
    Use flight following every chance you get.  VFR flight following is =
very much like IFR communications except for the approaches.
    Used the King test videos.
    Found an independent CFII using NAFI's list.
    Developed a training syllabus with the CFII (I like to study and =
practice before going up with a CFII)=20
    Used my partners on our Cessna to fly right seat safety pilot =
(instead of having the instructor do all of the 50 or so hours =
required). I find instructors too often don't let you figure stuff out =
on your own.=20
    I practiced using Microsoft Flight Simulator (FS 98)
    I practiced using Microsoft Flight Simulator (FS 98)

    I used 30 hours of CFI time and 20 hours of Safety Pilot time for a =
total of 50 hours.

    This occurred over a period of 6 months.  Oh and by the way, get =
your CFII to do a complete IFR flight with you early in your training - =
else it doesn't make a whole lot of sense until too late.

    And as someone recently pointed out, all this does is get you the =
instrument rating and an license to learn.  Proceed slowly as you build =
confidence flying in the clouds and making approaches while in the clag. =
 And don't fly too close to lightning storms in plastic airplanes!!!!!!

    My total cost was about $2500 (CFII, $30 per hour for our 172, and =
books, materials, etc.) and very much worth it!

    Ronnie


      ----- Original Message -----=20
      From: Chuck Jensen=20
      To: 'reflector@tvbf.org'=20
      Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 10:02 AM
      Subject: REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket


      Ronnie has certainly wetted a persons appetite for finally getting =
their IFR ticket.  Oshkosh this year was a great example of the value.  =
Us VFRers were always looking at the air show with one eye and checking =
the weather with the other.  Since I've been flying for over 20 years, I =
thought it was getting close to the time where it might be appropriate =
to upgrade the VFR ticket.

      Now, the best way?  Any experience or opinions out there about the =
best, most efficient program?  The 10 day wonder programs look like =
about $3,500 and you stay there.  The PIC program is about $5,000 but =
you work out of your home base, again for 10 intensive days.  I've heard =
so many unsat experiences (not necessarily in our local, but everywhere) =
of attempting to do it locally where the program is not well defined or =
organized and drags out over many months, or longer. =20

      So, any thoughts or experiences to provide guidance.

      Chuck

------=_NextPart_000_00A2_01C35CD5.0A2FCC80
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re: REFLECTOR:Re:Velocity Europe</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE type=3Dtext/css>BLOCKQUOTE {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
DL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
UL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
OL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
LI {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
</STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"COLOR: #800000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I got my instrument rating in 1998 =
before I=20
started on the Velocity.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The Velocity is fine for IFR =
training, you'll=20
just have to find a CFII that will train you in it.&nbsp; Probably =
easier if you=20
find an independent (but not necessarily).&nbsp; A friend has a Europa =
that he=20
took over to a local flight school and they agreed to train him IFR in =
it as=20
long as he split the electricity into a standby bus and battery - all =
electric=20
panel.&nbsp;He has done that and now we are finishing up his Dynon=20
installation.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Another consideration, you probably =
need to=20
check around and make sure you can find a FAA Designated Examiner who=20
will&nbsp;give you the practical test in your Velocity. &nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>A difference between the King and =
Sporty's=20
video.&nbsp; The Sportys is more like a ground school - general coverage =
of the=20
topic.&nbsp; King is more of a test prep, they go over the test =
questions and=20
the why of the answers.&nbsp; You'll need both kinds.&nbsp; And I found =
the PC=20
based written test practice very helpful too.&nbsp; I took practice =
tests until=20
I could make three tests grading higher than 90.&nbsp; Then I took the =
written=20
(and scored a 92.5).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dcjensen@dts9000.com =
href=3D"mailto:cjensen@dts9000.com">Chuck=20
  Jensen</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:'reflector@tvbf.org'">'reflector@tvbf.org'</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, August 07, 2003 =
11:28=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:IFR =
Ticket</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D637543914-07082003><FONT size=3D2>That's very =
helpful.&nbsp;=20
  I've done the King videos and was impressed with the teaching =
technique (of=20
  course, I have no standard of comparison; Sporty's may be just as =
good).&nbsp;=20
  I do use flight following (my radio work was dreadful, now its only =
bad), but=20
  was curious; did you do your training in the 172 because you didn't =
have your=20
  Velo yet?&nbsp; Or, is a 172 a slower, easier platform for=20
  training?</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D637543914-07082003><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D637543914-07082003><FONT size=3D2>I like immersing =
myself in=20
  something like the intense training of the 10 day course&nbsp;but =
concur with=20
  the posting that there is legitimate&nbsp;concern about how much one =
retains=20
  from a situation like that.&nbsp; However, as Ronnie pointed out, its =
only a=20
  license to start practicing for real.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D637543914-07082003><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D637543914-07082003><FONT size=3D2>Finally, more =
than once, I've=20
  heard that plastic planes and lightening don't mix well; not that any =
planes=20
  benefit from lightening.&nbsp; Since most young children don't read =
this=20
  forum, perhaps someone would share the highlights of the commingling =
of=20
  plastic-and-lightening.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D637543914-07082003><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D637543914-07082003><FONT =
size=3D2>Chuck</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
    size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
reflector-admin@tvbf.org=20
    [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Ronnie=20
    Brown<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, August 07, 2003 10:19 =
AM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
    reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:IFR=20
    Ticket<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Here's how I did it.&nbsp; I am =
always=20
    trying to save money so this may not be best for everybody.&nbsp; =
But it was=20
    enjoyable and worked for me.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I read Gleim's instrument pilot=20
    manual.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I practiced using Microsoft =
Flight Simulator=20
    (FS 98)</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Use flight following every =
chance you=20
    get.&nbsp; VFR flight following is very much like IFR communications =
except=20
    for the approaches.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Used the King test =
videos.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Found an independent CFII using =
NAFI's=20
    list.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Developed a training syllabus =
with the CFII=20
    (I like to study and practice before going&nbsp;up with a=20
    CFII)&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Used my partners on our Cessna =
to fly right=20
    seat safety pilot (instead of having the instructor do all of the 50 =
or so=20
    hours required). I find instructors too often don't let you figure =
stuff out=20
    on your own. </FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I practiced using Microsoft =
Flight Simulator=20
    (FS 98)</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I practiced using Microsoft =
Flight Simulator=20
    (FS 98)</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I used 30 hours of CFI time and =
20 hours of=20
    Safety Pilot time for a total of 50 hours.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>This occurred over a period of 6 =

    months.&nbsp; Oh and by the way, get your CFII to do a complete IFR =
flight=20
    with you early in your training - else it doesn't&nbsp;make a whole =
lot of=20
    sense until too late.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>And as someone recently pointed =
out, all=20
    this does is get you the instrument rating and an license to =
learn.&nbsp;=20
    Proceed slowly as you build confidence flying in the clouds and =
making=20
    approaches while in the clag.&nbsp; And don't fly too close to =
lightning=20
    storms in plastic airplanes!!!!!!</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>My total cost was about $2500 =
(CFII, $30 per=20
    hour for our 172, and books, materials, etc.) and very much worth=20
    it!</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
    style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- =
</DIV>
      <DIV=20
      style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
      <A title=3Dcjensen@dts9000.com =
href=3D"mailto:cjensen@dts9000.com">Chuck=20
      Jensen</A> </DIV>
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
      href=3D"mailto:'reflector@tvbf.org'">'reflector@tvbf.org'</A> =
</DIV>
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, August 07, =
2003 10:02=20
      AM</DIV>
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:IFR =
Ticket</DIV>
      <DIV><BR></DIV>
      <DIV><SPAN class=3D677531813-07082003><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie has =
certainly=20
      wetted a persons appetite for finally getting their IFR =
ticket.&nbsp;=20
      Oshkosh this year was a great example of the value.&nbsp; Us =
VFRers were=20
      always looking at the air show with one eye and checking the =
weather with=20
      the other.&nbsp; Since I've been flying for over 20 years, I =
thought it=20
      was getting close to the time where it might be appropriate to =
upgrade the=20
      VFR ticket.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
      <DIV><SPAN class=3D677531813-07082003><FONT=20
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><SPAN class=3D677531813-07082003><FONT size=3D2>Now, the best =
way?&nbsp;=20
      Any experience or opinions out there about the best, most =
efficient=20
      program?&nbsp; The 10 day wonder programs look like about $3,500 =
and you=20
      stay there.&nbsp; The PIC program is about $5,000 but you work out =
of your=20
      home base, again for 10 intensive days.&nbsp; I've heard so many =
unsat=20
      experiences (not necessarily in our local, but everywhere)&nbsp;of =

      attempting to do it locally where the program is not well defined =
or=20
      organized and drags out over many months, or longer.&nbsp;=20
      </FONT></SPAN></DIV>
      <DIV><SPAN class=3D677531813-07082003><FONT=20
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><SPAN class=3D677531813-07082003><FONT size=3D2>So, any =
thoughts or=20
      experiences to provide guidance.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
      <DIV><SPAN class=3D677531813-07082003><FONT=20
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><SPAN class=3D677531813-07082003><FONT=20
    =
size=3D2>Chuck</FONT></SPAN></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>=
</BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A2_01C35CD5.0A2FCC80--