REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:28:09 -0400


This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C35CF8.81945D40
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"

That's very helpful.  I've done the King videos and was impressed with the
teaching technique (of course, I have no standard of comparison; Sporty's
may be just as good).  I do use flight following (my radio work was
dreadful, now its only bad), but was curious; did you do your training in
the 172 because you didn't have your Velo yet?  Or, is a 172 a slower,
easier platform for training?
 
I like immersing myself in something like the intense training of the 10 day
course but concur with the posting that there is legitimate concern about
how much one retains from a situation like that.  However, as Ronnie pointed
out, its only a license to start practicing for real.
 
Finally, more than once, I've heard that plastic planes and lightening don't
mix well; not that any planes benefit from lightening.  Since most young
children don't read this forum, perhaps someone would share the highlights
of the commingling of plastic-and-lightening.
 
Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
Ronnie Brown
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 10:19 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket


Here's how I did it.  I am always trying to save money so this may not be
best for everybody.  But it was enjoyable and worked for me.
 
I read Gleim's instrument pilot manual.
I practiced using Microsoft Flight Simulator (FS 98)
Use flight following every chance you get.  VFR flight following is very
much like IFR communications except for the approaches.
Used the King test videos.
Found an independent CFII using NAFI's list.
Developed a training syllabus with the CFII (I like to study and practice
before going up with a CFII) 
Used my partners on our Cessna to fly right seat safety pilot (instead of
having the instructor do all of the 50 or so hours required). I find
instructors too often don't let you figure stuff out on your own. 
I practiced using Microsoft Flight Simulator (FS 98)
I practiced using Microsoft Flight Simulator (FS 98)
 
I used 30 hours of CFI time and 20 hours of Safety Pilot time for a total of
50 hours.
 
This occurred over a period of 6 months.  Oh and by the way, get your CFII
to do a complete IFR flight with you early in your training - else it
doesn't make a whole lot of sense until too late.
 
And as someone recently pointed out, all this does is get you the instrument
rating and an license to learn.  Proceed slowly as you build confidence
flying in the clouds and making approaches while in the clag.  And don't fly
too close to lightning storms in plastic airplanes!!!!!!
 
My total cost was about $2500 (CFII, $30 per hour for our 172, and books,
materials, etc.) and very much worth it!
 
Ronnie
 
 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Chuck  <mailto:cjensen@dts9000.com> Jensen 
To: 'reflector@tvbf.org' <mailto:'reflector@tvbf.org'>  
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 10:02 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket

Ronnie has certainly wetted a persons appetite for finally getting their IFR
ticket.  Oshkosh this year was a great example of the value.  Us VFRers were
always looking at the air show with one eye and checking the weather with
the other.  Since I've been flying for over 20 years, I thought it was
getting close to the time where it might be appropriate to upgrade the VFR
ticket.
 
Now, the best way?  Any experience or opinions out there about the best,
most efficient program?  The 10 day wonder programs look like about $3,500
and you stay there.  The PIC program is about $5,000 but you work out of
your home base, again for 10 intensive days.  I've heard so many unsat
experiences (not necessarily in our local, but everywhere) of attempting to
do it locally where the program is not well defined or organized and drags
out over many months, or longer.  
 
So, any thoughts or experiences to provide guidance.
 
Chuck


------_=_NextPart_001_01C35CF8.81945D40
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<TITLE>Re: REFLECTOR:Re:Velocity Europe</TITLE>

<STYLE type=text/css>BLOCKQUOTE {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
DL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
UL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
OL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
LI {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
</STYLE>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="COLOR: #800000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=637543914-07082003><FONT size=2>That's very helpful.&nbsp; I've 
done the King videos and was impressed with the teaching technique (of course, I 
have no standard of comparison; Sporty's may be just as good).&nbsp; I do use 
flight following (my radio work was dreadful, now its only bad), but was 
curious; did you do your training in the 172 because you didn't have your Velo 
yet?&nbsp; Or, is a 172 a slower, easier platform for 
training?</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=637543914-07082003><FONT size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=637543914-07082003><FONT size=2>I like immersing myself in 
something like the intense training of the 10 day course&nbsp;but concur with 
the posting that there is legitimate&nbsp;concern about how much one retains 
from a situation like that.&nbsp; However, as Ronnie pointed out, its only a 
license to start practicing for real.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=637543914-07082003><FONT size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=637543914-07082003><FONT size=2>Finally, more than once, I've 
heard that plastic planes and lightening don't mix well; not that any planes 
benefit from lightening.&nbsp; Since most young children don't read this forum, 
perhaps someone would share the highlights of the commingling of 
plastic-and-lightening.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=637543914-07082003><FONT size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=637543914-07082003><FONT size=2>Chuck</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma 
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> reflector-admin@tvbf.org 
  [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Ronnie 
  Brown<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, August 07, 2003 10:19 AM<BR><B>To:</B> 
  reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:IFR 
  Ticket<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Here's how I did it.&nbsp; I am always trying 
  to save money so this may not be best for everybody.&nbsp; But it was 
  enjoyable and worked for me.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>I read Gleim's instrument pilot 
  manual.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>I practiced using Microsoft Flight Simulator 
  (FS 98)</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Use flight following every chance you 
  get.&nbsp; VFR flight following is very much like IFR communications except 
  for the approaches.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Used the King test videos.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Found an independent CFII using NAFI's 
  list.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Developed a training syllabus with the CFII (I 
  like to study and practice before going&nbsp;up with a 
CFII)&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Used my partners on our Cessna to fly right 
  seat safety pilot (instead of having the instructor do all of the 50 or so 
  hours required). I find instructors too often don't let you figure stuff out 
  on your own. </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>I practiced using Microsoft Flight Simulator 
  (FS 98)</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>I practiced using Microsoft Flight Simulator 
  (FS 98)</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>I used 30 hours of CFI time and 20 hours of 
  Safety Pilot time for a total of 50 hours.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>This occurred over a period of 6 months.&nbsp; 
  Oh and by the way, get your CFII to do a complete IFR flight with you early in 
  your training - else it doesn't&nbsp;make a whole lot of sense until too 
  late.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>And as someone recently pointed out, all this 
  does is get you the instrument rating and an license to learn.&nbsp; Proceed 
  slowly as you build confidence flying in the clouds and making approaches 
  while in the clag.&nbsp; And don't fly too close to lightning storms in 
  plastic airplanes!!!!!!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>My total cost was about $2500 (CFII, $30 per 
  hour for our 172, and books, materials, etc.) and very much worth 
  it!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr 
  style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
    <DIV 
    style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> 
    <A title=cjensen@dts9000.com href="mailto:cjensen@dts9000.com">Chuck 
    Jensen</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=reflector@tvbf.org 
    href="mailto:'reflector@tvbf.org'">'reflector@tvbf.org'</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, August 07, 2003 10:02 
    AM</DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket</DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV>
    <DIV><SPAN class=677531813-07082003><FONT size=2>Ronnie has certainly wetted 
    a persons appetite for finally getting their IFR ticket.&nbsp; Oshkosh this 
    year was a great example of the value.&nbsp; Us VFRers were always looking 
    at the air show with one eye and checking the weather with the other.&nbsp; 
    Since I've been flying for over 20 years, I thought it was getting close to 
    the time where it might be appropriate to upgrade the VFR 
    ticket.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
    <DIV><SPAN class=677531813-07082003><FONT size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><SPAN class=677531813-07082003><FONT size=2>Now, the best way?&nbsp; 
    Any experience or opinions out there about the best, most efficient 
    program?&nbsp; The 10 day wonder programs look like about $3,500 and you 
    stay there.&nbsp; The PIC program is about $5,000 but you work out of your 
    home base, again for 10 intensive days.&nbsp; I've heard so many unsat 
    experiences (not necessarily in our local, but everywhere)&nbsp;of 
    attempting to do it locally where the program is not well defined or 
    organized and drags out over many months, or longer.&nbsp; 
    </FONT></SPAN></DIV>
    <DIV><SPAN class=677531813-07082003><FONT size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><SPAN class=677531813-07082003><FONT size=2>So, any thoughts or 
    experiences to provide guidance.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
    <DIV><SPAN class=677531813-07082003><FONT size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><SPAN class=677531813-07082003><FONT 
  size=2>Chuck</FONT></SPAN></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C35CF8.81945D40--