REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:19:03 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C35CCD.534B4A00
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Re: REFLECTOR:Re:Velocity EuropeHere's how I did it.  I am always trying =
to save money so this may not be best for everybody.  But it was =
enjoyable and worked for me.

I read Gleim's instrument pilot manual.
I practiced using Microsoft Flight Simulator (FS 98)
Use flight following every chance you get.  VFR flight following is very =
much like IFR communications except for the approaches.
Used the King test videos.
Found an independent CFII using NAFI's list.
Developed a training syllabus with the CFII (I like to study and =
practice before going up with a CFII)=20
Used my partners on our Cessna to fly right seat safety pilot (instead =
of having the instructor do all of the 50 or so hours required). I find =
instructors too often don't let you figure stuff out on your own.=20
I practiced using Microsoft Flight Simulator (FS 98)
I practiced using Microsoft Flight Simulator (FS 98)

I used 30 hours of CFI time and 20 hours of Safety Pilot time for a =
total of 50 hours.

This occurred over a period of 6 months.  Oh and by the way, get your =
CFII to do a complete IFR flight with you early in your training - else =
it doesn't make a whole lot of sense until too late.

And as someone recently pointed out, all this does is get you the =
instrument rating and an license to learn.  Proceed slowly as you build =
confidence flying in the clouds and making approaches while in the clag. =
 And don't fly too close to lightning storms in plastic airplanes!!!!!!

My total cost was about $2500 (CFII, $30 per hour for our 172, and =
books, materials, etc.) and very much worth it!

Ronnie


  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Chuck Jensen=20
  To: 'reflector@tvbf.org'=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 10:02 AM
  Subject: REFLECTOR:IFR Ticket


  Ronnie has certainly wetted a persons appetite for finally getting =
their IFR ticket.  Oshkosh this year was a great example of the value.  =
Us VFRers were always looking at the air show with one eye and checking =
the weather with the other.  Since I've been flying for over 20 years, I =
thought it was getting close to the time where it might be appropriate =
to upgrade the VFR ticket.

  Now, the best way?  Any experience or opinions out there about the =
best, most efficient program?  The 10 day wonder programs look like =
about $3,500 and you stay there.  The PIC program is about $5,000 but =
you work out of your home base, again for 10 intensive days.  I've heard =
so many unsat experiences (not necessarily in our local, but everywhere) =
of attempting to do it locally where the program is not well defined or =
organized and drags out over many months, or longer. =20

  So, any thoughts or experiences to provide guidance.

  Chuck

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C35CCD.534B4A00
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re: REFLECTOR:Re:Velocity Europe</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE type=3Dtext/css>BLOCKQUOTE {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
DL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
UL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
OL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
LI {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
</STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"COLOR: #800000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Here's how I did it.&nbsp; I am =
always trying to=20
save money so this may not be best for everybody.&nbsp; But it was =
enjoyable and=20
worked for me.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I read Gleim's instrument pilot=20
manual.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I practiced using Microsoft Flight =
Simulator (FS=20
98)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Use flight following every chance =
you get.&nbsp;=20
VFR flight following is very much like IFR communications except for the =

approaches.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Used the King test =
videos.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Found an independent CFII using =
NAFI's=20
list.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Developed a training syllabus with =
the CFII (I=20
like to study and practice before going&nbsp;up with a =
CFII)&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Used my partners on our Cessna to =
fly right seat=20
safety pilot (instead of having the instructor do all of the 50 or so =
hours=20
required). I find instructors too often don't let you figure stuff out =
on your=20
own. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I practiced using Microsoft Flight =
Simulator (FS=20
98)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I practiced using Microsoft Flight =
Simulator (FS=20
98)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I used 30 hours of CFI time and 20 =
hours of=20
Safety Pilot time for a total of 50 hours.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>This occurred over a period of 6 =
months.&nbsp;=20
Oh and by the way, get your CFII to do a complete IFR flight with you =
early in=20
your training - else it doesn't&nbsp;make a whole lot of sense until too =

late.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>And as someone recently pointed out, =
all this=20
does is get you the instrument rating and an license to learn.&nbsp; =
Proceed=20
slowly as you build confidence flying in the clouds and making =
approaches while=20
in the clag.&nbsp; And don't fly too close to lightning storms in =
plastic=20
airplanes!!!!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>My total cost was about $2500 (CFII, =
$30 per=20
hour for our 172, and books, materials, etc.) and very much worth=20
it!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dcjensen@dts9000.com =
href=3D"mailto:cjensen@dts9000.com">Chuck=20
  Jensen</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:'reflector@tvbf.org'">'reflector@tvbf.org'</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, August 07, 2003 =
10:02=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:IFR =
Ticket</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D677531813-07082003><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie has =
certainly wetted a=20
  persons appetite for finally getting their IFR ticket.&nbsp; Oshkosh =
this year=20
  was a great example of the value.&nbsp; Us VFRers were always looking =
at the=20
  air show with one eye and checking the weather with the other.&nbsp; =
Since=20
  I've been flying for over 20 years, I thought it was getting close to =
the time=20
  where it might be appropriate to upgrade the VFR =
ticket.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D677531813-07082003><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D677531813-07082003><FONT size=3D2>Now, the best =
way?&nbsp; Any=20
  experience or opinions out there about the best, most efficient =
program?&nbsp;=20
  The 10 day wonder programs look like about $3,500 and you stay =
there.&nbsp;=20
  The PIC program is about $5,000 but you work out of your home base, =
again for=20
  10 intensive days.&nbsp; I've heard so many unsat experiences (not =
necessarily=20
  in our local, but everywhere)&nbsp;of attempting to do it locally =
where the=20
  program is not well defined or organized and drags out over many =
months, or=20
  longer.&nbsp; </FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D677531813-07082003><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D677531813-07082003><FONT size=3D2>So, any thoughts =
or=20
  experiences to provide guidance.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D677531813-07082003><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D677531813-07082003><FONT=20
size=3D2>Chuck</FONT></SPAN></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C35CCD.534B4A00--