[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: REFLECTOR: Just getting started, and already I've got questions
Matt Harrop,
> -Do the RBH. I've got the article in Velocity Views which I plan
> to work from; however unless I'm mistaken this article pre-dates the XL.
> Should I just work from the article and scale up as necessary to fit, or
> has there been a further write up specific to the XL?
Yes, just scale it up to fit the XL. As far as I am aware, no one has done any
mods on the RBH specific to the XL. The dimensions are not critical anyway. I
just used the rear cut line of the doghouse, went as close to the canard as I
could without cutting the Triax for the torque tabs, and went far enough
forward to provide easy access. The Factory since came up with a better way to
do the RBH/Canard junction which allows the RBH to go all the way down to the
canard. Essentially, they made the required Triax structural layups (which
support the
torque tabs) into a flange for fastening the RBH.
But I would definitely NOT install the RBH or even the speed brake before the
fuselage bulkheads and keel. Without those supports, the fuselage is very
flimsy and will not maintain a shape. The RBH and speed-brake cutouts will
further weaken the fuselage.
So, to prevent problems with fit later, I'd recommend permanently installing
the structural elements into the fuselage before cutting any holes. For the
same reason, I would delay cutting the RBH until the top of the fuselage is
actually installed to the bottom. Otherwise there are just too many things
that can flex, and you'll just spend lots of time chasing your tail later.
I completely understand your preference to begin on something non-structural.
That's what I did. But that was back in the days when many of the individual
parts had to be hand-built. You might ask the Factory for their recommendation
as to what non critical part to start with. Or get someone who's already an
expert with fiberglass to work with you for a few days. For what it's worth, I
believe installing the RBH and speed brake requires more advanced skills than
installing the keel and bulkheads.
Best,
Dave Black
Shortwing TopDoor RG