[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
REFLECTOR: Remote Oil Filter
I know that many of you have asked about remote oil filters and some of
you have seen mine. I'm using a Canton Racing Products #25-150 Remote
Oil Filter That came off one of the Factory Mazda winning race cars at
Le Mans so it has been tested at far higher pressures and flow rates
than our aircraft engines will ever produce. It is made of an aluminum
extrusion with bolt on (4 - 1/4" stainless steel cap screws) top and
bottom 3/8" thick aluminum covers. Everything is sealed with O-rings
This filter has a flow rate of 45 GPM and a Lycoming oil cooler (you
would normally put it in series with the cooler) only has a flow rate of
7 GPM so you have plenty of safety margin. IT HAS NO BYPASS, however,
your engine does so this will never cut of oil flow.
The Racing price for the 25-150 filter with one element is $80,
additional elements (# 26-625) are not cheep at $70 for 6. The elements
should be replaced about every 25 hours and they come apart and you roll
out the filter to examine the particles that have been trapped which is
a lot easier than cutting a cartridge filter open.
I have scanned in three pages one from the catalog and two which show
the filter break down and installation hints. I will send these pages
to those that ask for them.
Brian, do you want a copy sent to you?
If you care to order these filters call Canton at 203-481-9460 and ask
for Dennis. Tell him that you are one of those airplane nuts that want
his filter AT THE RACING PRICE and give him a credit card.
If any of you are interested in my electric motor driven fuel cut off
valve (stays in the last position chosen and requires no electricity)
maybe I'll do this same thing. During my first engine (ATTEMPTED) start
it was in the wrong position and I can assure you that it works!!!
Jim
--
//------10--------20--------30--------40--------50--------60--------70--------80
// James F. Agnew
// Tampa, FL
// Velocity 173 FG Elite ( http://www.VelocityAircraft.com/ ) under
construction