[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
RE: REFLECTOR: fuselage leveling
I also built similar jacks, I have two that fit under the spars and one
which is longer for under the wing tip. I attached a block of wood with a
5/8" hole through it to avoid losing the jack handles. I found that a large
dab of construction adhesive (Aeropoxy 6279) worked great for attaching the
jack to the base (bondo might work as well).
Bill Schweitzer
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joe Stack [SMTP:joestack@technologist.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 1999 1:01 AM
> To: 'reflector@awpi.com'; 'Al Gietzen'
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: fuselage leveling
>
> Al,
>
> I got a chuckle out of your jack description; it could have been mine.
> Although after about a week, I attached a couple of broom handle clips I
> had sitting around in the shop to the side of the 4 x 4 so that I no
> longer
> needed to figure out where I last left the !#@$ hydraulic jack handles.
>
> Regards,
>
> Joe Stack
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Al Gietzen [SMTP:alventures@email.msn.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 1999 10:01 PM
> To: reflector@awpi.com; CBrock5000@aol.com
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: fuselage leveling
>
>
> Chris;
>
> For the rest of the life of your airplane you're going to need a jack for
> it; may as well make it now. I used a length of 4 x 4 and made a base of
> 4
> triangles cut from a 1 x 12 attached to the sides of the 4 x 4. Mount a
> hydraulic jack on top. Glue a piece of carpet to a 4" length of 4x, drill
>
> a
> shallow hole in one side to fit over the head of the jack for a nice pad
> for
> the wing (spar) to rest on. Make a similar stand for the other side with
> a
> height just about right to fit under the spar without a jack. Put the
> fixed
> stand under one side (maybe with a spacer if needed) and the jack stand
> under the other and adjust the jack for leveling. Holds the plane up
> nicely
> for wing attaching, gear tests; whatever.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Al Gietzen
>
> >i had fuselage leveled near perfect to mount spar several months ago (via
> saw
> >horses), now that i am nearly ready to work on the fuel strakes, i would
> like
> >to have a better system this time to keep the fuselage level, any
> >suggestions? it seems i remember someone placing cinderblocks with a jack
> >under each side of the spar. i prefer not placing the fuselage on the
> gear
> as
> >i would like to be able to raise and lower if necessary. any suggestions
> and
> >details appreciated. chris brock xl-rg