[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
REFLECTOR: Bounce from Nate Calvin
Forwarded message:
>
> I found my aileron brackets in the engine compartment to be assembled
> identically as the bearings brackets in the keel. Although, no axial loads
> there, it would be a bit of a bummer to lose an aileron bearing in flight.
> Guess I'll have to build a retainer for those two also.
>
> Nate Calvin
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Peter Beaty [SMTP:PETER.J.BEATY@usa.dupont.com]
> Sent: Thursday, February 04, 1999 6:54 AM
> To: jpr@ix.netcom.com; reflector@awpi.com
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Bearing AD
>
> At 08:28 PM 2/3/99 -0500, jpr@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >As a matter of fact, I'm just putting in the rear bearing
> bracket in a
> >few days, and discovered that I, too, have the countersunk
> screws.
> >Looks to me like it would make the perfect ramp for the
> bearing to ride
> >over and past the retaining lip.
> >
> YES, my thoughts exactly! On the aft bearing, even if there
> is no axial
> force by design, maybe some would develop somehow/someday
> (Murphy), and the
> bearing would start to vibrate out of the bracket. I dunno,
> but it was
> fast and easy to add the washers, so I did. Took less time
> than reading
> all the e-mails on this subject!
>
> >My front bearing bracket has the round-head screws which
> look like
> >they'd work much better - except that one of them is canted
> off to the
> >side (so was one of the rear screws too).
> >
> >Your idea of 7/8" washers under each screw is probably
> better, but it
> >still doesn't "look right" to me, and there would still be
> some side
> >load.
> >
> The washer is, to me, an acceptible improvement. The screw
> is still
> "canted", but not as much as before, because the edge of the
> washer
> contacts the bracket, helping resist any further canting or
> bending of the
> screw. Try it, you'll see what I mean.
>
> Of course, a fully concentric collar would be best, but "is
> the view worth
> the climb"? Your choice, and my $0.02.
>
> Pete.
>
>
--
Brian Michalk <http://www.awpi.com/michalk>
Life is what you make of it ... never wish you had done something.
Aviator, experimental aircraft builder, motorcyclist, SCUBA diver
musician, home-brewer, entrepenuer and SINGLE!