REFLECTOR: In-Cowl Exhaust - IO-360

Geoff Gerhardt via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Wed May 13 10:07:14 CDT 2015


Tom,

I've been through several exhaust options, starting first with the factory
design where the exhaust simply vents out the cowling normal to the
airflow.  I then had Custom Aircraft Exhaust make one of the versions you
showed where four exhausts vented into the prop within the cowling.  I
wasn't happy with the scorching on the prop.  Most of the LongEz's that do
that are sporting 2-bladed props and can clock them so excessive scorching
doesn't happen.  No, I have the exhaust venting out into the prop, but have
added exhaust ports to the lower half of the cowling, so the exhaust exit
is further away from the prop and also is hitting the prop where lots of
other airflow is diluting it.  I still get some soot buildup, but the prop
surface temps are low.  Also, this configuration appears to provide some
"pumping" out of cooling air resulting in improved engine cooling.  Anyway
you cut it, though, if you are currently using the stock configuration with
the exhaust blowing out normal to the airflow, you'll see increase speed
when you point the exhaust to the rear.

Have a look at this blog post for a description of some of these:
http://thegerhardts.com/velocity/?p=691

Let me know if you want to chat offline - I'd be happy to tell you more
about my experiences with exhaust mods.

Geoff

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Stockman, Bill via Reflector <
reflector at tvbf.org> wrote:

> I've got the IO360 C1C and the cylinders, etc. required bumps.   Not to
> mention the aileron push pull cables and other stuff that you will route
> through this area.
> The exhaust tubes on the LEZ config are 3-4 inches wider than mine on each
> side.
>
> bill
> ________________________________________
> From: Reflector [reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Gary Stull via
> Reflector [reflector at tvbf.org]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:38 AM
> To: Tom Mann; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: In-Cowl Exhaust - IO-360
>
> I'm not sure that would work. The cowl is very close to the engine. I had
> to cut and shorten an intake tube for clearance. I think that exhaust would
> be too wide without "bumps" in the cowl
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 13, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Tom Mann via Reflector <reflector at tvbf.org
> <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>> wrote:
>
> For my de-bumping the cowl exercise I am assuming I can use the Custom
> Aircraft in-cowl exhaust system that was designed for the Cozy Mark IV, yes?
>
> <33702-2[2].jpg><33702-2DWG[2].jpg>
>
> T Mann
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20150513/e67b9154/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list