REFLECTOR: Transporting a V with the spar attached

JEFF via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Tue May 12 19:38:50 CDT 2015


I transported my 173 from Colorado to Alaska (and then back a few years later about 3500 miles each way) by mounting a jig on the wing mount holes and the front spar bulkhead then flipped it up on a trailer with the spar vertical. It traveled well this way .....and got a lot of attention! I can scrounge up pictures if you need 'em. As I recall, it was about 13' at the top of the spar...cleared all of the bridges easily. No Wide Load signs needed. 

----- Original Message -----

From: "Tony Babb via Reflector" <reflector at tvbf.org> 
To: reflector at tvbf.org 
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:50:58 AM 
Subject: REFLECTOR: Transporting a V with the spar attached 



I think I’ve sold my SEFG project, subject to the buyer being able to arrange transportation from San Jose CA to Edgewater FL. The main problem is that the center section wing spar is attached to the fuselage. I think I’ve read that people put it in a truck with the fuselage rotated 45 degrees to keep the width down. Does anyone have photos/ advice on this and in particular whether they used a jig to support the fuselage? 



There’s a significant difference in cost of shipping with the wing spar attached. My buyer is even considering cutting out the wing spar and reattaching later. I’ve advised him to contact the factory for advise and he says he’s had no reply to emails he’s sent. 



Thanks, 



Tony Babb 

SEFG FBW, FBF 



_______________________________________________ 
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 

Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery 
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20150513/e0ae5b5a/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list