REFLECTOR: Transporting a V with the spar attached

Stockman, Bill via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Tue May 12 10:03:28 CDT 2015


Tony

I  had mine shipped from the factory with the spar attached in the company trailer.   I've moved it twice myself.  Once on the back of a truck with the spar stick out.   It required a wide load permit for the 30 mile trip (cost me about $75) and required we do it a low traffic time.    I also moved it myself in a rental truck with the fuselage angle in to fit diagonally in the truck.   I recruited some of my dumber friends to help load and unload for  pizza and beer.   It really depends on how far they are going.

If indeed they are shipping cross country, you will want to build a jib that bolts on where the wing goes (much like the roll over jigs) that lets you put it in diagonally, but with less chance of damage.

Bill

From: Reflector [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Tony Babb via Reflector
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 10:51 AM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Transporting a V with the spar attached

I think I've sold my SEFG project, subject to the buyer being able to arrange transportation from San Jose CA to Edgewater FL. The main problem is that the center section wing spar is attached to the fuselage. I think I've read that people put it in a truck with the fuselage rotated 45 degrees to keep the width down. Does anyone have photos/ advice on this and in particular whether they used a jig to support the fuselage?

There's a significant difference in cost of shipping with the wing spar attached. My buyer is even considering cutting out the wing spar and reattaching later. I've advised him to contact the factory for advise and he says he's had no reply to emails he's sent.

Thanks,

Tony Babb
SEFG FBW, FBF

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20150512/79ffa534/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list