REFLECTOR: Cold weather issues
Laurence Coen via Reflector
reflector at tvbf.org
Tue Mar 3 11:58:32 CST 2015
Larry,
My Lycoming experience was in a Cherokee 180D. It called for the air flow thru the oil cooler to be blocked at temperatures below 50F. At 150F the vernatherm would be on full bypass, thus no flow thru the oil cooler.
My coldest flight in the Cherokee was when I decided to fly from one millennium to the next (12/31/2000-1/1/2001). OAT was 6F. It took 3 tries to get the O360 fired up but run it did. Took off at 11:45 and landed 45 min later. When I taxied back to the hangar the oil temp was 85F at shut down.
Larry Coen
sans N136LC
From: Lawrence Epstein via Reflector
Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2015 10:52 AM
To: <forum at velocityowners.com> ; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Cold weather issues
Finally got to fly yesterday. Freezing cold up there and had a few interesting issues:
1) My Throttle cable was initially frozen (I was able to get 2400RPM and the runway is 10kft), but quickly thawed.
2)My Vertical AP was non functional ("He's dead Jim") Not sure if this was temperature related or related to a software upgrade (GRT HXr)
3)Heater is just blowing cold air (Nose oil cooler just gets cabin air. Has it's own pre-heat pad.).
4) When I landed, I couldn't disengage the nose wheel lock. When I got out and checked, there was ice formed around the pin
Today I pulled the nose cover. The cooler was warm (plugged in). I ran the engine and got Oil temp up to the 150's. Checked the nose oil cooler-Ice cold. Lines running to & from equally cold.
Autopilot servo not doing much of anything (Lateral works fine). EFIS set up menu shows that it's alive and communicating.
Larry Epstein
N58LV
173 FGE Lycoming iO360, MT Prop
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20150303/7e7fd393/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list