REFLECTOR: Intake Measurement

Douglas Holub via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Fri Jan 9 18:27:18 CST 2015


The oil cooler doesn't heat the cabin very well, except in the summer time.  When I'm taxiing for long periods in the summer time I'll turn the cabin heat on full blast and it will drop the oil temp about 10 degrees.

But my elevator torque tubes are not concentric and I get a lot of air coming in from the nose.  I plan on making them concentric (someday.)

Doug
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: paul barfknecht 
  To: Douglas Holub ; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Friday, January 09, 2015 6:47 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Intake Measurement


  doug,
  I have a nose cooler with an auxillary cooler on top of engine resulting in no cooling problems, even on my uninterrupted climb out 440ft to 9,000ft on my Oshkosh trip full load and full fuel. my curiosity regards the performance of your aft cabin heater configuration versus the nose installations. i'm in rhode island with some pretty cold days (nothing compared to my Wisconsin upbringing). Planning to upgrade the cabin heat system. 
  Thanx, paul 



    -----Original Message-----
    From: reflector at tvbf.org
    Sent: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 17:58:54 -0500
    To: reflector at tvbf.org
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Intake Measurement


    Yes, there’s an oil cooler mounted on the other side of the firewall with a fan for cabin heat.  I don’t have an oil cooler in the nose.  There’s another oil cooler on the engine side of the firewall near the bottom cowl which actually cools the oil.  Unfortunately, I had to add a belly scoop to get the oil cool enough. (Picture attached.)  I started with a small NACA, then went to a small scoop, then the one you see now.

    Doug

    From: paul barfknecht 
    Sent: Friday, January 09, 2015 5:20 PM
    To: Douglas Holub ; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Intake Measurement

    doug,
    are those oil lines going through the firewall? cabin heat?
    paul b 292f rhode island



      -----Original Message-----
      From: reflector at tvbf.org
      Sent: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 09:15:24 -0500
      To: reflector at tvbf.org
      Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Intake Measurement


      Since the top cowling comes so close to the top of the engine, I thought it would be a waste to build a separate cooling plenum, so I built the plenum baffles into the top cowling.  Then I built aluminum walls around the cylinders like you see on most air-cooled single engine installations, and put neoprene strips on the tops of the aluminum walls to seal against the top cowling.  The main reason I did this was so that when I removed the top cowling, I would be able to see the engine.   As the attached picture shows, I’ve got the air filter, mechanical fuel injection, and Plasma III coils all sitting on top of the engine block.  (I can’t find any pictures of the baffles in the top cowl.)

      Doug Holub
      2000 Standard FG w/ electric nose lift

      From: Rene Dugas via Reflector 
      Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2015 11:57 PM
      To: paul barfknecht ; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
      Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Intake Measurement

      I have no boots with about 3/16" gaps and no cooling issues.  I've considered it but worry about it tearing and falling on the exhaust with subsequent fire.  If I had a problem that would probably be my first attempt at a fix though.



      Sent from Rene's iPad. A pleasure.  Go Apple. 


      On Jan 8, 2015, at 1:35 PM, paul barfknecht via Reflector <reflector at tvbf.org> wrote:


        My nacas extend about an inch into the engine compartment. My downdraft tunnels are installed by sliding over the nacas forward then pivoted down to attach (with all those beautiful screws) to the plenum. The tube over tube fit is a smidge less than snug at the firewall. If I am getting movement of the engine relative to the firewall there is the allowance. Clearance between the downdraft tunnels and the cowling is about a quarter inch as I recall.



          -----Original Message-----
          From: ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
          Sent: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 09:50:00 -0600
          To: ceraygun at inbox.com, tmann at n200lz.com, reflector at tvbf.org
          Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Intake Measurement


          Beautiful workmanship, my question is, I keep seeing all of these photo’s of the down draft cooling plenums, without any rubber booted connection between the engine and the NACA scoop connection at the firewall. I have seen photo’s of the plenums with a rubber boot installed. So for those that I am seeing without, I know that my 300hp IO540 engine, using the standard MT three blade prop, is torqueing against the engine mount, at least 3/8 inch at full power, I know this because of the size holes I have had to cut around my exhaust pipes to keep them from hitting my cowling. My exhaust Exit holes started out with a 1/4 inch clearance all the way around, and I had to keep enlarging them, they are now oblong,  in the direction that the engine is twisting. It also seems to me that without some sort of rubber booted connection, that the engine vibration alone, would rip the connection off of the firewall. 

          My thoughts, others using the NACA down draft cooling will have to weigh in on this issue.

          -----------------------------------------
          Andrew Ellzey
          N151AJ IO540 300hp armpit updraft cooling

          From: paul barfknecht via Reflector 
          Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 4:42 PM
          To: Thomas Mann ; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list ; Velocity Reflector 
          Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Intake Measurement

          I don't have the measurement, but thought you might be interested in a photo of my plenum on an SUV with an io360.  Ken Mishler , a Velocity Jedi Master created this masterpiece (with a little assistance from me) which has resulted in no concerns regarding cooling on my plane. removable sections allow good access to the top and front of the engine.
          Paul Barfknecht



----------------------------------------------------------------------

           
          Free 3D Earth Screensaver
          Watch the Earth right on your desktop! Check it out at www.inbox.com/earth

----------------------------------------------------------------------
          _______________________________________________
          To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

          Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
          user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
          Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
          Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------


        _______________________________________________
        To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

        Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
        user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
        Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
        Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
      _______________________________________________
      To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

      Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
      user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
      Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
      Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

     
    Free 3D Earth Screensaver
    Watch the Earth right on your desktop! Check it out at www.inbox.com/earth

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   
  Free 3D Marine Aquarium Screensaver
  Watch dolphins, sharks & orcas on your desktop! Check it out at www.inbox.com/marineaquarium
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20150109/dba5f6b0/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list