REFLECTOR: The use of VG to aid cooling

Bob Jackson (Jax Tech) via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Mon Sep 29 23:29:56 CDT 2014


Wow!  Great job on the research and write-up of results, Dave!  Definitely worth reading and applying to your own plane.  You inspire me to go read one of your books!

We've been using the standard (~1/4" tall) wing and canard VGs in front of our engine NACAs for several years to good effect in lowering our CHTs, but nothing like Dave reports with his super (~2") VGs.  I can appreciate and believe the difference he reports and am eager to try them on our plane.

This is a great example of the kind of analysis and communication that makes the Velocity (and Experimental aircraft) community special.  Many don't have the background to carry it out, and most of those that do don't have the time, the patience or the kind-heartedness to document and disseminate it back into the community.

Great job on all accounts, Dave!

Thanks,
Bob Jackson
N2XF
XL-RG

PS  I'm an Oregon State 1970 grad, Dave.  I've been reading your posts over the years and wanting to come by to share stories and insights in the summers when I fly my plane out (from my Orlando home base) to visit Oregon family and 'sight see' the West.  Your plane is beautiful and an obvious labor of love.  I'll have to try harder next summer.  your research is an inspiration, not to mention useful!


-----Original Message-----
From: Reflector [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of David Ullman via Reflector
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2014 8:09 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org; reflector-request at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: The use of VG to aid cooling

My Velocity has always run hot.  I have fixed this with the use of Vortex Generators aiding the flow of air into the NACA ducts on top of the fuselage.  For a full report go to:

https://davidullman.com/uploads/THE_USE_OF_VORTEX_GENERATORS_TO_ENHANCE_PUSHER_AIRCRAFT_COOLING.pdf

Comments appreciated.

To see recent photos of N444DX hangared in Independence Oregon, go to: 

https://davidullman.com/VelocityPhotos.php

David Ullman
David at davidullman.com



_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list