REFLECTOR: Testing forward CG
Kurt Winker via Reflector
reflector at tvbf.org
Wed Sep 24 22:28:01 CDT 2014
What CG value and gross weight?
Only have 9 hrs on mine...
Canard up at 73...rotate smoothly at 80.
Final at 85... Touchdown at 83. If I let it slow below 80. Feels like I do not have enough reserve elevator. This is right at the lower end of the first flight envelope for the 173.
Hope to be back in the air this week. Wondering when I should put the wheel pants on?
Kurt.
Sent from my iPad
> On Sep 24, 2014, at 21:00, Brian Michalk via Reflector <reflector at tvbf.org> wrote:
>
> In my flight tests, as I move the CG farther forward, I notice that I am unable to get the airplane to stall in straight flight. Instead if stalling, the Vm begins to increase. Vm is the minimum speed to maintain altitude, and is something I check on each flight, because it's the speed below which I am unable to flare for a landing.
>
> I don't have a specific CG in mind, but when I have 380 lbs in the front seats, I run out of elevator authority for landing at normal air speeds. I really need to carry more speed on final than I'm comfortable with. With this weight in the front, I'm flying approach at 95kts. My Vm is 80kts.
>
> My next check is to see the actual elevator travel from the neutral position. I believe I'm very close to the book values, but maybe I need more elevator travel. If my problem is not elevator travel, I'm thinking about testing VG's on the canard, starting out with only one VG per side to see if this helps. I know VG's on the canard only are verboten, but if one does deep stall testing, and clears the aft CG regime, then is this still forbidden?
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list