REFLECTOR: Installing / drilling / aligning aileron hinges

Reiff Lorenz via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Fri Nov 21 16:08:20 CST 2014


Peter,

I don't have any photos, but I can tell you how I did it during the factory head start program . . .


1.       Shape a few pieces of wood or foam to hold the hinges in place in the wing cavity

2.       Position the aileron on the wing. Hold it in place with rulers or popsicle sticks. Make sure the hinges are held in position correctly by the wood or foam.

3.       Drill one 1/8" hole through the wing into each hinge. Cleco the hinges in place. Remove the wood or foam. Check to make sure the aileron moves freely with no binding or movement.

4.       The clecos will hold the material while you drill the rest of the holes. Do 1/8" holes and cleco them as you go. Check periodically to make sure everything still moves as you expect it to.

5.       When satisfied, remove the clecos one at a time and drill the holes to size. You'll need to put temporary fasteners in some of the larger holes so you can remove the last clecos.

Hope this helps!

Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
Velocity XL-RG, 64% complete
Currently working on: Engine installation



From: Reflector [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Peter Braswell via Reflector
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2014 1:07 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Installing / drilling / aligning aileron hinges

All,
I've been scratching my head about this for a bit, thought I'd reach out to the brain trust to see what folks are doing.

I'm to the point where I have to drill and install the hinges that I fabricated for the ailerons.  I was wondering how you all kept everything jigged / lined up during the process?

It seems like drilling the holes and installing the hinges with pop rivets and adhesive is easy enough to the aileron itself, but what's the best way then to align, jig and drill the holes for the screws and nut plates on the other side?

Pictures encouraged if you all have any.

TIA,
Peter

------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUDO Labs | Zuluworks.com | ThreePoint.io | CheckRide.io
"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com<http://www.zuluworks.com>
Cell: 804.690.5896
------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20141121/54d3d77b/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list