REFLECTOR: Vortex Generators

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue May 20 08:02:08 CDT 2014


Higher rates of descent require more elevator, therefore more speed, to 
round out.  I used to take a steeper descent on final so if the engine 
quit, I'd make the runway.  After pancaking on the runway a few times 
because I didn't have enough elevator to round out, I decided to have 
faith in my engine and take a flatter approach.  Now I can use an 
approach speed of 75-80kn and have plenty of elevator to round out.


John

On 5/19/2014 9:00 PM, Brian Michalk wrote:
> When I am alone in the plane, it's about 70 kts.
> As I move the CG forward the plane doesn't stall, it just mushes.  The 
> only way to stall it is while in a turn.
> As I move CG forward the Vm increases (minimum speed at which I can 
> maintain altitude), which I add 10 kts to and use as my approach speed.
>
> On 05/19/2014 05:57 PM, Jerry Teitsma wrote:
>>
>> Brian - What is your stall speed?
>>
>> Jerry Teitsma
>>
>> N241JT
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> *From: *"Laurence Coen" <lwcoen at hotmail.com>
>> *To: *"Reflector" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> *Sent: *Monday, May 19, 2014 10:09:56 AM
>> *Subject: *Re: REFLECTOR: Vortex Generators
>>
>> Brian,
>>
>> The max forward CG is 115.75".  If you are at 115" or less then 
>> that's your
>> problem, not something wrong with the plane.  If I load 400# plus in the
>> front I still won't reach the forward CG.  You should be able to hold 
>> the
>> nose up at 70 KIAS.
>>
>> Larry Coen
>> N136LC
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------
>> From: "Brian Michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
>> Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2014 10:42 PM
>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Vortex Generators
>>
>> > After doing my foreward CG tests, I find that my biggest concern is
>> > running out of elevator authority when flaring to land.  Flying in my
>> > buddies V, and also the trainer, I don't recall speeds as high as I am
>> > maintaining on final.  At 110mph (96 kts) final, by the time I land, I
>> > suppose I'm down to 100mph, and at forward CG of ... well, I can't 
>> find my
>> > spreadsheet at the moment, but it's probably close to 115 inches.
>> >
>> > My question is I am wondering if VG's on the canard will give me some
>> > better elevator authority.  I like not having to worry about 
>> breaking them
>> > off now, so if the bother is worth it, I'll try them.
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > To change your email address, visit
>> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> >
>> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> > Check old archives: 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visithttp://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives:www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140520/e9eb2f91/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list