REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil temp and flow data

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Wed Mar 5 15:03:01 CST 2014


I read John Dibble's response to your email.

I did not place a temperature sender there, because for me, that's where 
I'm picking up oil pressure.  No oil flow for a good temperature reading.

I did, however install a temperature sensor in the plug you are 
referring to.  My thought is that this too may not be an accurate oil 
temperature pickup location, and may be more of a crankcase 
temperature.  Regardless, this temp probe does correlate to oil 
temperature.  I'm seeing about 105C max at this point when my bypass 
temperature sensor is indicating 110C.

On 3/5/2014 12:35 PM, Laurence Coen wrote:
> John,
>
> Looking at the oil bypass plate the bypass spring plug is on your left 
> and is the side of the oil return from the cooler. There is a 1/8" NPT 
> hole on the outside face of my bypass plate that supplies oil to the 
> fuel pump drive via an external oil line.  Replacing the original fuel 
> pump with the PZL pump eliminated this line.  I used a Weldon vane 
> pump mounted on the original pump drive and still have this oil line 
> installed.  I measure both oil temp and pressure by teeing into where 
> the line connects to the bypass plate.  I think there some Franklins 
> that don't have this fitting hole in the bypass plate.  This may be 
> why Brian did it his way. Another good possibility is a pipe plug that 
> is located on the copilot side of the engine case on the prop end.  
> The upper plug closes the crank main bearing oil galley and is where I 
> have installed an oil pressure switch for the Hobbs. Maybe not the 
> perfect location but you would finally be measuring engine oil temp 
> instead of oil cooler temp.
>
> Larry Coen
> N136LC
> --------------------------------------------------
> From: "John Dibble" <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
> Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2014 11:34 AM
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil temp and flow data
>
>> On 3/1/2014 10:29 AM, Brian Michalk wrote:
>>
>> If you have very little oil flowing through the cooler, then it comes 
>> back very cool, and that is what you see on your panel gauge for oil 
>> temp.  I believe that we should be measuring the temperature of the 
>> oil going into the engine.  I tapped the bypass spring plug, and 
>> inserted my oil temperature probe there.
>>
>> I was wondering if there was a place to measure the oil temp that the 
>> engine is seeing.  Seems like the spring plug location is measuring 
>> the oil temp before the cooler.
>>
>> John
>>>
>>
>>
>> ---
>> This email is free from viruses and malware because vast! Antivirus 
>> protection is active.
>> http://www.avast.com
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list