REFLECTOR: Air intake

Don Johnston numa at comcast.net
Mon Mar 3 12:36:07 CST 2014


I can't speak to the benefits of a scoop, but Malcolm told me once not to
center it under the cowling. He said that debris from the nose wheel will
get flung up into it.


On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Jack Prock <jackprock at wavecable.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>
>
> I would like to know if anyone has any thoughts on air intakes. I am
> getting down to the last
>
> few items on my list before flight and one thing I was thinking about was
> to put in an air intake
>
> scoop under the engine cowling. Something along these lines:
>
>
>
> [image: NHRA Pro Stock Composite Hood Scoop 100-8506]
>
>
>
> Now my question, is for the people that have put an external air intake on
> the plane.
>
> Do you get a boost at higher altitude because of the ram air effect? Does
> the drag of
>
> the scoop outweigh any positive effect from the boost?
>
>
>
> I have already started designing the scoop, but now have second thoughts
> and wanted
>
> to see if I was going down the wrong path.
>
>
>
> Any thoughts?
>
>
>
> Jack Prock
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140303/fe0d18e0/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image001.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 6253 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140303/fe0d18e0/attachment.jpg>


More information about the Reflector mailing list