REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 111, Issue 31

Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list reflector at tvbf.org
Tue Jun 24 15:56:07 CDT 2014


Here ya go!

Larry


From: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:21 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org 
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 111, Issue 31


Larry, 


Can you sent me or post a picture of your armpit? I could eliminate couple more degrees on long climbouts.


Wim Huisman

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014, <reflector-request at tvbf.org> wrote:

  Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
          reflector at tvbf.org

  To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
          http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
  or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
          reflector-request at tvbf.org

  You can reach the person managing the list at
          reflector-owner at tvbf.org

  When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
  than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."


  Today's Topics:

     1. Re:  Cooling (Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list)
     2. Re:  Cooling (Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list)
     3.  LLC (Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list)
     4. Re:  LLC (Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list)
     5. Re:  Cooling (Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list)


  ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  Message: 1
  Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 16:08:08 +0000
  From: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
  To: "=?utf-8?Q?reflector at tvbf.org?=" <reflector at tvbf.org>
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cooling
  Message-ID: <mailman.618.1403585362.2596.reflector at tvbf.org>
  Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

  Interesting. I’m sure I will try the VGs when I get back up and running this summer.


  I’ve also wondered/considered ducting the heated air out through the bottom of the cowling with an adjustable door arrangement similar to the exhaust side of the P-51 ducting. I would imagine it would be more efficient than simply dumping the air into the enclosed cowling.


  First step: get back in the air.


  Tom Mann

  N951TM






  Sent from Windows Mail
  -------------- next part --------------
  An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140624/0fc126b5/attachment-0001.html>

  ------------------------------

  Message: 2
  Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:21:23 -0500
  From: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
  To: reflector at tvbf.org
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cooling
  Message-ID: <mailman.619.1403585850.2596.reflector at tvbf.org>
  Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

  Hi Jeff,

  Yes, I had armpits on my STD-RG for many years.  I've got a few pictures
  of an oil study I did along the way that I can send if interested (the
  reflector doesn't like pictures).  In net, the issue I saw was that
  because there isn't any expansion area aft of the armpit scoop to slow the
  air down, it tends to back up and flow mostly around the scoop.

  My advice - bite the bullet and install the roof mounted NACAs.  Do a good
  job on the NACA inlet.  You will be extremely satisfied with the results.

  Send me your email address if you'd like some oily pictures.  I'm trying
  to figure out how to upload them to a photo album on the VOBA website...

  Dave

  Dave T. Nelson
  T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
  Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering

  - To:
  "reflector at tvbf.org" <reflector at tvbf.org>
  -
  -Subject:
  Re: REFLECTOR: Cooling
  - Anyone have experience with VGs on a 173RG with the older armpit scoops?
  If so please send a pic and explanation.
  - Appreciate it, Jeff

  - Thank you, Jeff
  - TEAM JEFF Real Estate

  - Jeff Findarle - Realtor, GRI
   - PRES.-Wasatch Co Association of Realtors
  - Darin Heckel - Realtor
  - AllStar Realty
  - 575 N main St.
  - Heber City, UT. 84032
  -------------- next part --------------
  An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140624/77a6f98d/attachment-0001.html>

  ------------------------------

  Message: 3
  Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:26:33 -0500
  From: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
  Subject: REFLECTOR: LLC
  Message-ID: <mailman.620.1403586162.2596.reflector at tvbf.org>
  Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

  I know there are a couple of lawyers on the reflector so I thought I
  would ask.
  Since getting insurance is nearly impossible I was told to put my plane
  in a LLC
  to help to remove me from to much liability . There is a small expense
  in setting it up and maintaining
  it but is it worth it.

  Ron


  ------------------------------

  Message: 4
  Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:33:00 -0500
  From: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
  To: "reflector at tvbf.org" <reflector at tvbf.org>
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: LLC
  Message-ID: <mailman.623.1403586533.2596.reflector at tvbf.org>
  Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

  I'm not a lawyer (but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express) but I've been
  told by lawyers that the LLC (and Delaware incorporation) approach is a
  minor speedbump to a competent lawyer.  But if it doesn't cost much to do
  it, why not? That speedbump could be enough.

  Once again, not a lawyer, just passing on what I was told.


  On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders
  list <reflector at tvbf.org> wrote:

  > I know there are a couple of lawyers on the reflector so I thought I would
  > ask.
  > Since getting insurance is nearly impossible I was told to put my plane in
  > a LLC
  > to help to remove me from to much liability . There is a small expense in
  > setting it up and maintaining
  > it but is it worth it.
  >
  > Ron
  > _______________________________________________
  > To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/
  > listinfo/reflector
  >
  > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
  -------------- next part --------------
  An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140624/df6c30cf/attachment-0001.html>

  ------------------------------

  Message: 5
  Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 15:05:47 -0500
  From: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
  To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cooling
  Message-ID: <mailman.625.1403599298.2596.reflector at tvbf.org>
  Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

  I use modified armpit scoops.  They are mounted 3/4" out from the fuselage and have an internal venturi for improved pressure recovery.  I have included a clip from a Flying Magazine article that explains the popularity of misapplication of NACA inlets.

  Larry Coen

  N136LC



  North American's bad experience-and those of others, such as Long-EZ builders who tried to use them for engine cooling air-did not put paid to the NACA scoop. Today we see them everywhere, and they are widely used in precisely the applications-engine induction and cooling air inlets, oil radiator inlets, fuel tank vents, cabin ventilators, all sorts of mysterious apertures on Firebirds and Lamborghinis-for which the original researchers deemed them unsuitable.

  Why? Different designers probably have different motives. Many applications require peak performance at only a narrow range of flow rates anyway, and so efficiency losses at off-design points can be tolerated. Even though they are not really drag-free, submerged inlets certainly produce less drag than protruding ones do. They have practical advantages; one is that they're easy to fabricate-much easier than a pitot-style scoop with a boundary-layer channel. NACA scoops are popular with amateur builders, some of whom are probably in the dark about the mechanism of their operation, but assume that if they're used on some airplanes, they must be good for all.

  Other reasons are more frivolous. NACA scoops look nice. They don't appear to clutter up the surface of the airplane the way protruding inlets would. They at least seem as if they produce no drag. And that double-ogive with its gently sinking floor is an elegant shape that just feels aerodynamic in an undefined sort of way. Looks matter. When reason fails, follow your heart.


  Read more at http://www.flyingmag.com/scoop-naca-scoop#2DDXHD907wXdp5Bi.99


  From: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:21 AM
  To: reflector at tvbf.org
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cooling


  Hi Jeff,

  Yes, I had armpits on my STD-RG for many years.  I've got a few pictures of an oil study I did along the way that I can send if interested (the reflector doesn't like pictures).  In net, the issue I saw was that because there isn't any expansion area aft of the armpit scoop to slow the air down, it tends to back up and flow mostly around the scoop.

  My advice - bite the bullet and install the roof mounted NACAs.  Do a good job on the NACA inlet.  You will be extremely satisfied with the results.

  Send me your email address if you'd like some oily pictures.  I'm trying to figure out how to upload them to a photo album on the VOBA website...

  Dave

  Dave T. Nelson
  T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
  Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering
        - To: "reflector at tvbf.org" <reflector at tvbf.org>
        -
        -Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cooling

  - Anyone have experience with VGs on a 173RG with the older armpit scoops? If so please send a pic and explanation.
  - Appreciate it, Jeff

  - Thank you, Jeff
  - TEAM JEFF Real Estate

  - Jeff Findarle - Realtor, GRI
  - PRES.-Wasatch Co Association of Realtors
  - Darin Heckel - Realtor
  - AllStar Realty
  - 575 N main St.
  - Heber City, UT. 84032



  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
  -------------- next part --------------
  An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140624/56bb6d5a/attachment.html>

  ------------------------------

  Subject: Digest Footer

  _______________________________________________
  Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose

  ------------------------------

  End of Reflector Digest, Vol 111, Issue 31
  ******************************************



-- 

"People will forget what you said; People will forget what you did. 
But people will never forget how you made them feel." 





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140624/5ebb03a6/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: armpit.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 30942 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140624/5ebb03a6/attachment-0001.jpg>


More information about the Reflector mailing list