REFLECTOR: Fuel Line Routing (was Hub-bub)
Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
reflector at tvbf.org
Sat Jun 21 15:13:39 CDT 2014
I know I'm not about to answer your question (Scott B. just did that
beautifully on another post), but you may want to consider the following;
- One of the most common cause of fatal accidents in experimental
aircraft is mechanical failure related to the fuel system.
- There have been multiple incidences of engine stoppage in experimental
pusher aircraft with the configuration you are describing (Scott B.
described the mechanism in his earlier e-mail). This would theoretically be
less likely with a 200hp engine, but the inherent risk/design limitation is
there.
- In the event of a "traumatic" arrival, with the valve up front, there
is fuel essentially in your lap.
You could return the Andair valve and instead install a mechanical valve
near the sump, which is actuated using pushrods in the front. There are
multiple builders who have done this, who can add details (can also be
found in the Reflector Archive).
Just a thought.
Larry
On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders
list <reflector at tvbf.org> wrote:
> Okay, I’ll bite.
> Let’s try this.
>
> The Background:
> I have a Velocity STD/RG that I acquired. It has no fuel selector valve or
> shut off of any kind.
> There a known issue with the tanks draining unevenly to the sump.
>
> I have rebuilt the sump as a split sump with two 3/8” lines on each tank
> leading to the sump.
> There is a 3/8” vent line from each side of the sump and each wing tank to
> a central manifold and then to the exterior. There is also a alternate air
> vent to the manifold.
>
> Lines from sump to the valve are 1/2” as is the line from the valve to the
> filter/pump/engine.
>
> The Andair Fuel Selector valve that Velocity sells which has
> left/right/both/off options which is what I am installing.
>
> The Question:
> I am looking for examples where builders have mounted the valve and how
> they ran the fuel lines.
> *Has anyone used this valve in a Velocity RG with a center stick control
> system?*
>
> I have already received plenty of examples of various alternatives using
> cables, single point shutoffs, servo valves and the like so I won’t need
> any examples of those. Possible valve locations I have considered are the
> pilot’s side of the keel and top of the keel aft of the stick.
> Or another location?
>
> With the RG there will be the main hydraulic cylinder to contend with.
> That brings me to the fuel lines. I don’t know if I have enough room within
> the existing keel area or not. I may have to build a channel for the lines
> on top of the existing or down the side of the exiting channel.
>
> For anyone using this valve in this configuration:
> *How did you address this issue of running fuel lines between the sump and
> the valve?*
>
> I have the rear bench seat but I would feel fine converting it back to
> bucket seats in the event that I need to raise the channel/keel to the
> back.
>
> Tom Mann
> N951TM
>
> Sent from Windows Mail
>
> *From:* reflector at tvbf.org
> *Sent:* Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:20 AM
> *To:* reflector at tvbf.org
>
>
>
>
> On Jun 21, 2014, at 10:04 AM, Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <
> reflector at tvbf.org> wrote:
>
> So why is it that all these builders that did not use part “A” feel
> compelled to jump in and tell you about how they DIDN’T use part “A”?
> Is this about disagreeing or perhaps something else?
>
>
> I think its about knowledge, options and experimentation. I personally
> like hearing from those that installed part “A” and those that didn’t.
> Many of us have not heard about the pros/cons of part “A” and any options
> to do something different. Every post may not answer the question in the
> original post, but I, and I think others, benefit from hearing from those
> that have gone before us. If the original poster thinks the discussion is
> going too far off topic, then repost (nicely) and ask for a redirect to get
> back on track.
>
>
>
> Tom
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140621/ab656fa4/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list