REFLECTOR: Cooling
Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
reflector at tvbf.org
Tue Jun 17 19:26:43 CDT 2014
If you can imagine which way the vortex is spinning, I believe you want
to place it such that the vortex is captured by the side of the NACA.
I.e., looking at it from the front, the VG to the left of the NACA
centerline needs to angle to the left.
http://wiki.velocityoba.com/images/9/90/VV_naca2.jpg
On 06/16/2014 11:53 AM, Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list wrote:
> Like you just got my plane painted. I had VG 8" in front of the nacas
> when in primer and had no cooling
> issues. Now that I have paint on it and have not reinstalled the VG's
> yet the temps are a little higher about
> 20 Degs. I will be installing the VGs back on to see if it returns to
> my normal temps. MY question
> is similar which is better for installation of VG's with them
> pointing into the wind > or pointing the direction of the wind
> < . Does it make a difference ?
>
> Ron
> On 6/16/2014 11:03 AM, Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list wrote:
>> Painted 444DX. I will post pictures when I get some good ones and
>> also send
>> them to VOBA. But smooth paint has changed the airflow around the
>> fuselage
>> and I now have cooling issues. I have the NACA scoops on the top and
>> an IO
>> 360 in an SEFG. Before I painted it, the surface was rough primer.
>> I had
>> mild cooling issues before and put some 1.5" scoops at the rear of NACA
>> ducts and they seemed to have helped a little, but they were ugly (to
>> me).
>> So, with no duct extensions I am overheating on climb out and even
>> cruise
>> with the cg forward.
>>
>> Two questions: 1) I want to try vortex generators. I already have
>> them on
>> the wing and canard, so why not. I thumbed through the Reflector for
>> the
>> last two years and could not find where to place them. Any ideas?
>> Also, is
>> there an easy way to search Reflector other than month to month as I
>> have
>> been doing?
>>
>> 2) In talking to Alan Shaw (yes I did find him, thanks to those who
>> helped
>> on that) and he suggested adding tabs near the root of the prop (3
>> blades,
>> fixed pitch, Catto) to draw more air through. Anyone tried that or
>> have and
>> suggestions on size, angle, etc.)
>>
>> I have now flown over 25 Young Eagles. They always clamor for rides
>> my Velo
>> over the RVs. Cant imagine why.
>>
>> PS. I suspect many of you are interested in antique cars. So you may
>> want to
>> follow my progress in the Great Race as I navigate a 1932 Buick from
>> Maine
>> to Florida, June 21 -29. This will be my 5th participation in rally.
>> Follow my progress on http://www.greatrace.com/ as I get lost in
>> Vermont or
>> Georgia. The results will be posted daily. I will be in car #61.
>> If you
>> look on the site you will see what cities we stop in. Note that
>> lunch stops
>> are very brief, little time to be social, but evening stops are a
>> concurs
>> event with much social time. If I am going to be in a city near you,
>> love
>> to meet you and show you the cars (there will be about 100 dating from
>> 1910).
>>
>>
>> David Ullman
>> N444DX
>> President EAA 292
>> 541-760-2338
>> david at davidullman.com
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list