REFLECTOR: Mysterious bags of stuff...

Luciano, Luis I CIV PEOSUB, PMS404P via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Thu Jul 31 09:41:57 CDT 2014


It has been a while since I had to do any filling and when rummaging through my matls to pick up the effort, I found that I could no longer distinguish between my fillers.  These were ordered from the factory years ago but delivered unlabeled which I didn't notice at the time.  I should have microballoon, flocked cotton, milled fiber, cabosil - but, in reality, have three bags of VERY SIMILAR LOOKING "white stuff".

I'm pretty confident I can identify microballoon as when I opened the ziplock bag slightly, it blew out in a whisp of fine dust very easily... I had no mask/respirator at the time :(

The other two bags show a slight visual difference between them but I can't tell from looking which is flocked cotton, milled fiber, or cabosil... can the collective assist in providing visual clues to distinguish between them.  Any quick test that I could use (eg: magnifying glass, burn flame color, water absorption, acid/vinegar test on a sample, other)?

Thanks
Luis Luciano
Velocity XL-5 "Dulcinea"

-----Original Message-----
From: Reflector [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of via Reflector
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:00 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Reflector Digest, Vol 112, Issue 27

Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
	reflector at tvbf.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	reflector-request at tvbf.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
	reflector-owner at tvbf.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1.  Overhead NACAs (John Dibble via Reflector)
   2. Re:  Overhead NACAs (Jerry Teitsma via Reflector)
   3. Re:  Overhead NACAs (Tim Rhodenbaugh via Reflector)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:13:41 -0500
From: John Dibble via Reflector <reflector at tvbf.org>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: REFLECTOR: Overhead NACAs
Message-ID: <53D919B5.8070701 at bluefrog.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed

For those with the overhead NACA vents for engine cooling, does the duct connect directly to the plenum or is there a flexible joint for vibration?

Thanks,

John

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com



------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 17:29:00 +0000 (UTC)
From: Jerry Teitsma via Reflector <reflector at tvbf.org>
To: John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com>, Reflector
	<reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Overhead NACAs
Message-ID:
	<1162424615.34221358.1406741340108.JavaMail.root at comcast.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

You certainly need some ability to handle engine movement.  I used a section of rubber (cut from an inner tube) in the connection.  The gap between the rigid sections is about 2 inches. 

----- Original Message -----

From: "Reflector" <reflector at tvbf.org>
To: "Reflector" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:13:41 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Overhead NACAs 

For those with the overhead NACA vents for engine cooling, does the duct connect directly to the plenum or is there a flexible joint for vibration? 

Thanks, 

John 

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. 
http://www.avast.com 

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140730/7092b74e/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:17:01 -0500
From: Tim Rhodenbaugh via Reflector <reflector at tvbf.org>
To: John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com>, Velocity Aircraft Owners and
	Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Overhead NACAs
Message-ID: <5C37CC8B-CC23-455E-9030-171664E6E4BC at aol.com>
Content-Type: text/plain;	charset=us-ascii

I put a little silicone on the plenum end where it meets the firewall to stop leaks and I suppose it gives a little vibration suppression as we'll Tim Rhodenbaugh XLRG

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 30, 2014, at 11:13 AM, John Dibble via Reflector <reflector at tvbf.org> wrote:
> 
> For those with the overhead NACA vents for engine cooling, does the duct connect directly to the plenum or is there a flexible joint for vibration?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> John
> 
> ---
> This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
> http://www.avast.com
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: 
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________
Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose

------------------------------

End of Reflector Digest, Vol 112, Issue 27
******************************************
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/pkcs7-signature
Size: 5615 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140731/91d255b2/attachment.bin>


More information about the Reflector mailing list