REFLECTOR: torx head flat machine screws

Scott Baker via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Mon Jul 28 13:58:27 CDT 2014


On 7/28/2014 2:41 PM, Hiroo Umeno via Reflector wrote:
>
> Perhaps this is a moot point for flying aircraft but…  Would this pass 
> the DAR “sniff-test”?  When I got my aircraft inspected by a DAR, one 
> of the things he scrutinized was the use of AN hardware throughout the 
> plane.  I suspect he would have called me out if I used one of these.
>
>
Hiroo,
Interesting that you mention your DAR being focused on hardware used in 
the construction of an experimental aircraft.  I thought the Pacific NW 
FSDO was notorious for "anything goes".
That said, my experiences with DAR's in the Orlando region have been 
that they have not commented on hardware specifications used in building 
homebuilt aircraft.
I think that it is good that your DAR prefers the use of AN hardware, 
however I don't think there are any FAA rules or regulatory guidelines 
that speak to the required use of aerospace hardware in home-built aircraft.
The standing joke amongst many homebuilt aircraft builders is that they 
purchased much of their non-kit hardware in the "aircraft" department at 
Lowes.
As homebuilt aircraft builders we want our aircraft to be safe - and 
hopefully make the right judgements when it comes to hardware 
selection.  For the most part, shopping non-AN hardware for 
non-structural applications does the job and saves a good deal of money.
Scott B.



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140728/c38de95e/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list