REFLECTOR: Plume Drag
Geoff Gerhardt via Reflector
reflector at tvbf.org
Fri Jul 4 17:15:06 CDT 2014
I changed my exhaust from the typical perpendicular to the fuselage to
exiting out the back inside the cowl and did see a significant improvement
(6-8ktas). I think its a combination of plume drag as well as disturbing
the air going into the prop.
I am currently re-jiggering my exhaust again, this time exiting out the
bottom of the cowling rather than inside the cowling (similar to what Brett
described
<http://www.velocityxl.com/content.php?162-Section-Exhaust-Augmentation>).
I have the factory exhaust fairings (VEFL-01 and VEFR-01) and I'm just in
the process of modifying my cowl to add them. I found the scorching of the
prop excessive with it venting in the cowl. With a three bladed prop and
the exhaust pipes located 180deg apart, there's no way to clock the prop so
one blade doesn't get a hot exhaust blast. By moving the exhaust to exit
below the cowl I'm hoping that I get less prop scorching. I don't mind
cleaning off the soot, but I was getting enough heat effect on my Catto
prop so that I could see it was affecting the fiberglass.
Geoff
On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Brian Michalk via Reflector <
reflector at tvbf.org> wrote:
> I just finished an email conversation with Marc Zeitlin on plume drag.
>
> My question to him was if he knew of any references to research in this
> area. He does not, but believes the reason for why people think plume drag
> exists is due to three factors.
>
> 1) Perpendicular pipes at the fuselage will have some portion impacting
> free air, and will therefore have some parasitic drag. If the tubes are
> arranged such that they do not impinge free air, then there is no
> associated parasitic drag. This would be the directly aft configuration
> where tubes never really leave the cowl envelope.
> 2) There is some thrust to be gained from pointing the exhaust aft. I'm
> not claiming its much, but I acknowledge this. Not pointing it aft is
> wasting that extra little bit of thrust.
> 3) Perpendicular ejection of exhaust will cause some separated flow from
> the fuselage due to the exhaust plume, increasing parasitic drag.
>
> He agrees that the plume itself cannot cause the drag, because it's not
> attached to the airplane, but there could be other factors increasing drag,
> and two of them have nothing at all to do with the plume.
>
> He also pointed me to this conversation:
> http://copilotco.com/mail-archives/matronics.2003/msg53894.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/
> listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140704/96914264/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list