REFLECTOR: Clocking the Exhaust

Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list reflector at tvbf.org
Wed Jul 2 15:39:53 CDT 2014


I am removing my turbocharge because of cowl temperatures, and will 
install it at a later date after I've solved my other more pressing 
heating issues.  In a nutshell, I'm trying to reduce the complexity and 
address heating one variable at a time.  I am having hoses crack and 
sensors (crank timing for EFI) fail due to the heat.

I asked Clinton at Custom Aircraft about turning the exhaust straight 
back towards the prop, and he recommended against it, suggesting that if 
I do a merged log design, I'll need a ball joint and hanger to keep from 
cracking the exhaust where it turns down.

I've seen other examples where the exhaust is merged into a common log 
and points directly aft, using augmentation to help with cooling along 
the way.  How are people able to keep their props from getting scorched 
by the exhaust?


More information about the Reflector mailing list