REFLECTOR: Panel layout opinions

Don Johnston numa at comcast.net
Fri Jan 31 12:00:17 CST 2014


Originally, I was going to go with a pair of GRT screens with a traditional
radio stack. But when the HXr came out that supported remote avionics and
the ability to use a tablet as a secondary display, I switched to that
(this is where not purchasing instrumentation and avionics until they're
needed pays off!)

So the new plan was a single 10.4" screen with all remote avionics and a
tablet (not permanently mounted) that would be used primarily for engine
information.

But recently I discovered that a single screen wouldn't work because each
device requires a serial port and there are only 8 ports per screen. So
I've got to add a second screen just to get more ports. :-(

Now my problem is where to put the second screen (see attached).

I could mount the second display directly next to the primary screen.  This
seems to be the most common layout. But the backup EFIS (Dynon D1) would
have to be mounted either very low on the panel or way off to the right.

The other alternative is to center it on the co-pilot side. This would
allow the backup EFIS to be placed higher on the panel.  But the second
EFIS would be basically unusable from the pilot seat (viewing or
controlling).  On the other hand, if GRT doesn't come through with their
IFR GPS and I have to use a Garmin 400W, at least I'll be able to mount it
in the center of the panel. If I put the second screen adjacent to the
primary screen, the only place to put a panel mount GPS would be out of
reach from the pilot.

What do y'all think?

Don
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140131/ddc7ccb9/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: panel.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 130754 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140131/ddc7ccb9/attachment-0001.pdf>


More information about the Reflector mailing list