REFLECTOR: Fuel System install

Ron N VelocityXLFG velocityxl at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 3 08:58:26 CST 2014


Tough call, keep it simple with no valves or add complexity for a 
possible issue, both have merit.
I do like the valve idea for the reason of removing sump tank with out 
draining the stakes. Had to do that once.
But also this is not what I would call a regular activity and do not 
think it warrens the extra work ,cost ,complexity and risk .


my 2 cents


Ron

On 1/3/2014 8:02 AM, Dave T Nelson wrote:
>
> Hi Glenn,
>
> Regarding your first question, use of a fuel tank selector valve, you 
> might want to check the canard aviators newsgroup logs as this was 
> discussed much.  The net is, there is a real risk of fuel exhaustion 
> if you choose to have both tanks flow into a common sump without a way 
> to switch tanks.  The issue is, if you have a leak on one tank, you 
> stand the risk of draining both tanks.  And this DOES happen... many 
> folks through the years have failed to fully latch a fuel cap, had it 
> come off in flight, and (depending on specific conditions), the fuel 
> can exit that tank, and it can suck the fuel out of the opposite tank 
> too.  It apparently can happen quickly.  This is one of the key 
> reasons that all certified planes have a fuel selector valve.  Mike 
> Melville wrote a very eloquent post on this topic, strongly 
> recommending a valve.
>
> For the record, I didn't build my airplane with a valve (it's a STD-RG 
> that I've had flying since 1997), so I am at risk for this situation.
>
> Dave
>
> Dave T. Nelson
> T/L 553-4327, Voice 507-253-4327, Fax 507-253-3648
> Program Director, ISC ECAT NPI & Test Engineering
>
>
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Glenn Falkenberg 
> <_airmech2 at gmail.com_ <mailto:airmech2 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All
>     I have a two part question for the group on fuel system
>     installation.  First what is the general thought on the use of a
>     fuel tank selector valve.  Are their advantages or a necessity for
>     using one?  What are the pros and cons?  Second does anyone have
>     suggestions for installing the fuel feed line and strainer in the
>     tank?  The manual says to just microglass the line in place and
>     use a screen around the inlet.  I would like to use a more robust
>     method, I.E. bulkhead fitting.  Any input is appreciated.
>      Thanks
>     Glenn Falkenberg
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140103/574c715b/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list