REFLECTOR: Franklin Engine
Laurence Coen
lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 23 18:40:01 CST 2014
John,
I too have CHT's that are lower than I like. I still believe that NACA= high CHT and armpit= low CHT. If you get to Kansas I'm at OJC in the Kansas City area. Stop by if you can.
Larry Coen
N136LC
From: John Dibble
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2014 3:47 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin Engine
Your CHTs are way higher than mine (250 F in summer at cruise, 210 or less in winter (@ oat 50 F). I'm measuring CHT on the cool side of the cylinder. I'm wondering if my CHTs are too low and resulting in more lead deposits which may be causing detonation. When my engine had <500 hours I ran my EI at 32 degrees advanced with no problem also. I may be going to KS in the next 2 weeks. Will you be around?
John
On 2/20/2014 5:02 PM, WJ Wilbeck wrote:
That's interesting. How many hours on your engine? What are the CHTs?
Reply:
Just over 500 hours on a new PZL Franklin
Normal Cruise is lean of peak at +- 9 Gal/Hr.
CHT 340 - 380 will go higher if too rich at LOP.
In Summer can climb 15K+ at 100 knots & not break CHT red line of 390.
Sure I fought High Oil & CHT.
Fix for me:
Set ignition no more than 32 degrees
Added 2nd oil cooler on top of engine with additional NACA& Plenum
Added 3 additional exits to bottom cowl.
CYL 5 &6 can get hot if mixture not set right.
I believe cause is blow-by on rings & will hone and install new rings this spring.
I have been told the PZL Franklin has chrome barrels & Rings and that it would never seat the rings until changed to Cast Rings
We shall see.
WJ Wilbeck
620-727-3596
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of John Dibble
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:10 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin Engine
On 2/18/2014 5:13 PM, WJ Wilbeck wrote:
One more thing to consider is the spark plug.
In my Franklin, I have light speed ignition and run their recommended spark plug.
It is DENSO X27GPR-U.
It is a long reach and available from your local Honda Motorcycle shop for cheap.
Part Number 98061-59626
The proper spark plug adaptor is available from Light Speed.
I run the timing at 0 to start and 32 degrees for full power - Cylinder Temps OK.
wj
WJ Wilbeck
620-727-3596
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140223/8828f059/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list