REFLECTOR: ADS-B Questions
Tom Falls
tomfalls6 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 10:08:05 CST 2014
John,
Attached is a picture of a page I saved from a Sporty's catalog a few
months ago. A great and simple explanation of how ADS-B traffic works for
planes only receiving ADS-B and those with ADS-B out.
Basically, if you have ADS-B out then you are in the center of a 30 mile x
7000ft "puck" of traffic data.
If your only receiving ADS-B then an aircraft close to you that has ADS-B
out is at the center of the "puck" of data. So if the center of the "puck"
is 15 miles behind you, then you are missing ALL the traffic in front of
you!
Note that in either case, planes without an xponder will NOT show up on
your screen. See-and-avoid is here to stay!
Hope this helps,
Tom
On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 9:57 AM, John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:
> The ADS-B traffic info has shattered my illusion that I'm the only one
> flying out there. It can get a bit distracting when I see a plane that
> appears to be on an intersecting path and I keep looking for it and don't
> see it because it's too far away. Gotta get used to that. There are
> several numbers displayed with each plane icon. Does anyone know exactly
> what all the numbers are? Altitude - actual, msl, or relative to me? Also
> what are the vertical and horizontal range limits for reported traffic? I
> assume that I will not see a jet at FL 400. A small percentage of the time
> I see the ADS-B icon for my plane which is a bit ahead of my moving map
> icon. The moving map icon is behind my actual position according to ground
> references. Should I be getting the ADS-B icon for my plane, or should it
> not be there to avoid confusion with the moving map icon?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> ---
> This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
> protection is active.
> http://www.avast.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/
> listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140219/8058bcd7/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 428071 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140219/8058bcd7/attachment-0001.jpeg>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list