REFLECTOR: It's been really quiet this week

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue Feb 18 15:52:29 CST 2014


On 2/18/2014 2:53 PM, Brian Michalk wrote:
> Hmm.  Interesting.  It's certainly easy enough for me to change.  I 
> can simply enter a new value of 25BTDC in the software in flight.
> I suppose I will also turn off the magneto and see if the gasket 
> thermocouple temperatures go down.  I'd leave the magneto at it's 
> current setting of 28BTDC.  If the temps go back up with the magneto, 
> then that's a strong indicator that it should be retarded.
>
> I wonder if I should switch back to a massive plug?  I was using 
> Autolite 386, until an airport buddy told me to dump them in the trash.
>
With the proper timing, my $2 auto plugs work great and seem to last 
much longer than massive plugs.  With the mag off, you'll probably lose 
power and see high egts.  I got good results once running the mag at 32 
degrees and the EI at 24.  I think what that does is make the combustion 
start slower so you don't get a big burn rate at TDC where no energy can 
be transferred to the crank.  Running both at 24 degrees gives similar 
performance.

John

>
> On 2/18/2014 2:42 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
>> Brian,
>>
>> For some unknown reason, when the plugs are changed from massive to 
>> Iridium fine wire,
>> the CHT seams to increase quite a bit. Running my Franklin engine 
>> over the last six years in Florida ,
>> I never had high CHT problems until I changed to the fine wire plugs. 
>> At John's suggestion, I reduced
>> my advance from 28 degrees to 25 degrees and the temps returned to 
>> what I saw before the change.
>> Ironically, the engine seems to develop slightly more power and run 
>> much smoother.
>>
>> Mike W.
>



---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140218/4061a6ce/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list