REFLECTOR: It's been really quiet this week

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Tue Feb 18 14:42:10 CST 2014


Both are on the top side.  But the bayonet is submerged into the well in 
the cylinder.

On 2/18/2014 11:24 AM, John Dibble wrote:
> On 2/18/2014 9:43 AM, Brian Michalk wrote:
>> Hmm, I am a proponent of reducing timing to lower CHT's, and have my 
>> mag and EI set to 28BTDC, advancing to 32BTDC above 2600 RPM.  The 
>> book value is 28-32 degrees.
>>
>> I will retard it some more and we'll see what happens.
>>
>> On the EI, I am running NGK Iridium IX plugs, with a fairly shallow 
>> reach.  I don't have the exact rating available at the moment.
>>
>> I am seeing conflicting data.  My gasket thermocouples are reading 
>> redline temps on takeoff, but the bayonet thermocouples are reading 
>> cool.  Do you know what could be causing this?
>
> Are they on the same side of the cylinder?  There's typically a 100F 
> difference between the inlet and exit air sides.
>>
>> On 2/18/2014 8:51 AM, John Dibble wrote:
>>> On 2/17/2014 11:44 AM, Brian Michalk wrote:
>>>> I've been flight testing.  It's a slow process for me, since my 
>>>> engine design while Franklin based, has EFI and EI.
>>>> I have been battling high CHT's even in the cooler weather, and am 
>>>> seeing positive results as the engine breaks in.
>>> Sorry for repeating myself, but I really think you need to reduce 
>>> the timing advance to 24-25 degrees.  My anecdotal experience has 
>>> been that any departure from the mag/massive electrode combination 
>>> increases the detonation tendency for the Franklin engine.  Further, 
>>> multiple changes compound the problem.  When I bought my plane it 
>>> had one mag and one EI, both using massive electrode plugs.  I 
>>> experienced minor detonation symptoms such as an occasional plug 
>>> fouled with metal and an occasional high CHT.  When I switched to 
>>> auto plugs for the EI, the symptoms worsened with more frequent plug 
>>> fouling, erosion of the electrode and an occasional engine stumble 
>>> right after takeoff, a real attention getter. When I switched the 
>>> mag plugs to fine wire, the engine stumbling became more frequent 
>>> and I had to replace a cylinder and piston due to severe pitting.  I 
>>> have eliminated the symptoms by reducing the timing advance.  I 
>>> manually increase the EI advance once I'm above 9k for max power.  
>>> Maybe Mike W will comment also.
>>>
>>> John
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> <http://www.avast.com/> 	
>
> This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus 
> <http://www.avast.com/> protection is active.
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140218/cf3bd4b5/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list