REFLECTOR: ADS-B Questions

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue Feb 18 08:29:52 CST 2014


Ruben,

What data, if any, is shown with the TIS icons?  Do you see a TIS icon 
for your plane?

John

On 2/17/2014 2:12 PM, Ruben Creus wrote:
>
> John
>
> I cannot tell you specifically about the ADS-B, but I can tell you 
> about TIS. All that you describe sounds exactly the same. I live in 
> the Washington DC area, and I do the NYC trip quite often. You can 
> imagine how busy the air space is here. My TIS screen goes crazy very 
> often showing traffic all over.
>
> In my experience when I flew with no TIS, I only saw maybe 1 airplane 
> once in a while. Since flying with TIS I see around a dozen or more 
> airplanes in the screen, but still with my eyes I can only pick 2 or 
> 3. Definitely, there is a lot of traffic out there that you would not 
> see unless you are equipped. On the other note, it is true that seeing 
> a plane in the screen increases your level of stress, as you want to 
> be sure it will not be a factor. In the last few years, I can only 
> recall one time that TIS really showed me ahead of time of a truly 
> potentially dangerous situation, and just for that one time makes all 
> worth it.
>
> So, the good news is that you are aware of traffic, the bad news if 
> that you level of stress increases when you see something popping on 
> the screen even is not a factor. But remember, space is big and 3 
> dimensional, so the true chance of a collision is slim, but possible. 
> Over time, you will learn to identify what situations are informative 
> vs dangerous. And the day you get our of one of the dangerous ones all 
> becomes worth it.
>
> I agree that to know something increases a bit the level of stress, 
> vs. the fact that ignorance is bliss... but this one of those that 
> knowing is better as it can safe your life.
>
> P.D.: Sorry I could not give you more information about the ADS-B, but 
> I thought sharing my traffic information experience might help.
>
> *Ruben G. Creus*
>
> Ë+1.571.215.0025
>
> *ruben at vainneg.com <mailto:ruben at vainneg.com>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: John Dibble [mailto:aminetech at bluefrog.com]
> Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 9:58 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: REFLECTOR: ADS-B Questions
>
> The ADS-B traffic info has shattered my illusion that I'm the only one
>
> flying out there.  It can get a bit distracting when I see a plane that
>
> appears to be on an intersecting path and I keep looking for it and
>
> don't see it because it's too far away.  Gotta get used to that.  There
>
> are several numbers displayed with each plane icon. Does anyone know
>
> exactly what all the numbers are?  Altitude - actual, msl, or relative
>
> to me?  Also what are the vertical and horizontal range limits for
>
> reported traffic?  I assume that I will not see a jet at FL 400.  A
>
> small percentage of the time I see the ADS-B icon for my plane which is
>
> a bit ahead of my moving map icon. The moving map icon is behind my
>
> actual position according to ground references. Should I be getting the
>
> ADS-B icon for my plane, or should it not be there to avoid confusion
>
> with the moving map icon?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> ---
>
> This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus 
> protection is active.
>
> http://www.avast.com
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140218/d9e5cd9e/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list