REFLECTOR: GRT HXr USB expansion

Glenn Babcock glennbabcock at roadrunner.com
Wed Feb 12 07:09:25 CST 2014


Don,

One thing I noticed is that you have separate Com and Nav connections. I have an SL30 which uses one port for both.  Not sure what radio(s) you are planning for, might not be the case for you.  Of course, even if it is, that still leaves you short 2 ports.

Another difference is that I still have a radio stack so don't need remote Com 2 and audio panel ports.  If you did that you might be down to eight ports.  Just a thought...

What is the VPX?

Regards,
Glenn



> On Feb 12, 2014, at 6:02 AM, Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net> wrote:
> 
> Well then I'm confused.  The HXr has 8 serial ports. How are you connecting 11 serial devices?
>> On Wednesday, February 12, 2014, lawrence <ljepstein at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Still not sure why you are running out of ports. 
>> I have the exact same configuration with the HXr. I am using the GRT autopilot, but it still connects via serial port. 
>> 
>>> On Feb 11, 2014, at 9:13 PM, Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> 
>>> EIS
>>> Com1
>>> Com2
>>> Nav1
>>> GPS
>>> Transponder
>>> Audio Panel
>>> AHRS1
>>> AHRS2
>>> AP
>>> VPX
>>> 
>>> 
>>> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Glenn Babcock <glennbabcock at roadrunner.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Don,
>>> 
>>> I have a GRT HXr and an Android tablet connected via Bluetooth.  Here a picture of my panel on the GRT forum:  http://www.grtavionics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=189
>>> 
>>> Despite having lots of toys connected I’m doing fine with 8 ports on a single display:
>>> 
>>> 1. IFR GPS (GX60)
>>> 2. AHRS
>>> 3. SL30 (remote COM)
>>> 4. EIS
>>> 5. VFR GPS
>>> 6. TT22 (ADS-B out)
>>> 7. GRT AP
>>> 8. none
>>> 
>>> My USB connections are:
>>> 
>>> Port 1: USB data stick
>>> Port 2: USB Hub
>>> 	Hub 1: Sky Radar (ADS-B In)
>>> 	Hub 2: Bluetooth (tablet network)
>>> 	Hub 3: none
>>> 
>>> The only thing I don’t have is the WAAS GPS, but that will replace the GX60.  Even if I had a second AHRS I would have enough ports.
>>> 
>>> So I’m curious, what do you need 11 ports for?
>>> 
>>> Regards,
>>> Glenn
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Regards,
>>> Glenn
>>> 
>>> 
>>>> On Feb 11, 2014, at 1:29 PM, Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> Not exactly...
>>>> 
>>>> Here's what I posted:
>>>> 
>>>> Update...
>>>> 
>>>> I was just told by GRT that the USB ports on the HXr are not programmed to receive the type of signals from the avionics.
>>>> 
>>>> They are setup for uploading the EFIS software, downloading flight data and communicating with either XM weather or ADS-B devices.
>>>> 
>>>> The bottom line (at least as far as the reason the thread got started) was that I had about 11 devices that required serial ports. None of these devices were weather or ADS (or radar). Which meant there was no workaround for the requirement of a second EFIS screen to get additional serial ports. 
>>>> 
>>>> Respectfully,
>>>> Don
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Lawrence Epstein <ljepstein at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Last week, the discussion over what the USB ports ended with a post that Carlos @ GRT said the USB was not available for expansion or anything but software upload and data download.
>>>> Carlos is the expert, but I think he was mis-understood.
>>>> 
>>>> Here is the USB section of the HXr installation manual:
>>>> 
>>>> "USB
>>>> The preferred m
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140212/cdcc7e73/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list