REFLECTOR: Plumbing the Spar

James Traynor jtetraynor at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 3 20:58:54 CST 2014


Hi Phil
 
I just did my lower co-pilot side strake and yes have every thing plum level and true. Use the incidence gauge and twist the wing with wedges  which will twist the  spar back into place and flox in the back lower strake when ready. I pushed up from the ground to lock in the lower strake and as I lifted the wing laid back a few degrees. NEXT time I will have boards holding (pushing) down from the ceiling in my shop. Yes if there is any twist it will come out if you wedge the wing back perfect and lock in the lower strake to the side of the fuselage. Also if the lower strake will not move after floxing  you will need to cut the lower skin down the center of the spar and wing in that 1/2" gap as in the manual. 
I found that once bonded to the fuselage there is no changing the incidence at this time unless major undo work is done.
I love working with this kind of construction if you make a mistake there is and easy undo, redo, rebuild and fix it trick.
 
Have fun and enjoy
 
James  
 
From: ljepstein at hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 20:32:13 -0500
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Plumbing the Spar

No-
The wings should be on, all plumb & level, incidence gauge on, while you fabricate/install the strakes. The strakes are what hold the spar/wing at the correct incidence.
Larry

On Feb 3, 2014, at 7:40 PM, Carl Hoffman <hoffman3 at rcn.com> wrote:I don't believe your suppose to put the wings on until the strakes have completed.

Carl Hoffman

Sent from my iPad.

On Feb 3, 2014, at 5:23 PM, Phil Hooper <phil at hdmnet.com> wrote:

Slow building Hooper here.  When we installed the spar everything was level, on the money.  The vertical line on the spar bushings was also on the money.  The fire wall was and remains dead nuts perfect.  The wings have been on for three months and we're about to mount the lower strake on the pilot side.  I rechecked the levels, and all is exact.  Nothing has moved.  However, in placing a level against the spare (front, outboard), and plumbing a line down between the spar and the wing to the center or the earth, it appears that the outboard part of the spar is twisted a bit, not in plumb, rotating aft.  My bubble level error may be from unevenness in the spar surface.  I am also assuming that twist will  be induced by the weight of the wings.  



Any thoughts from fellow builders wiser than I. Thanks very much.
-- 

-- 


Phil Hooper
President



        Harvest Development
          & Media Inc.

        19851 Yorba Linda
          Blvd., Suite 204

          Yorba Linda, CA 92886
          voice:
            714.693.8745
fax:
             714.777.0134

            web: http://www.hdmnet.com/

            email: phil at hdmnet.com
        


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140204/5177fe4a/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list