REFLECTOR: Question about installing clamps
Brian Michalk via Reflector
reflector at tvbf.org
Wed Dec 17 11:09:41 CST 2014
That's pretty cool. A bit pricey, but if they do a good job, it's worth it.
I am always unhappy with the look of my wires. To me they look
disorganized, and everyone else's looks so neat. Is there a reference
somewhere on how to maintain neat wiring harnesses?
On 12/17/2014 10:29 AM, Erik Franks via Reflector wrote:
> These aluminum tabs are the best I've found for routing wires.
> http://www.panduit.com/wcs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=Panduit_Global%2FPG_Layout&cid=1345564328975&packedargs=classification_id%3D1998511%26item_id%3DMBMS-S10-CY%26locale%3Den_us&pagename=PG_Wrapper
> I just use super glue from the hardware store to attach them to
> fiberglass or metal. They should be quickly sanded and the attachment
> surface too. We use these at the rocket company I work at in Mojave.
> I've been using them on the e-racer airplane I've been working on as
> well. They can be purchased in a bag of 100 from:
> http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panduit/MBMS-S10-CY/?qs=StbKPovQf9FJAg6Qg8s9rA%3D%3D
>
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Douglas Holub via Reflector
> <reflector at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>> wrote:
>
> I have a few wires that run to the nose from the instrument
> panel. I made fiberglass loops on the inside of the fuselage on
> the sides. I slit them after they cured so I could snap the wires
> in and keep them off the bottom of the fuselage where water has
> been known to collect. Sorry, no pictures.
> Doug Holub
> N2980W, Standard FG with electric nose lift
> *From:* Reiff Lorenz via Reflector <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
> *Sent:* Monday, December 15, 2014 7:56 PM
> *To:* Phil Hooper <mailto:phil at hdmnet.com> ; Velocity Aircraft
> Owners and Builders list <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Question about installing clamps
>
> Phil,
>
> For some of the light-duty clamps I have floxed an AN3-4 bolt into
> the skin. For medium-duty attachments I used these bondable nuts
> from McMaster Carr: (part number 90611A300)
>
> http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/3216/=v1gm94
>
> For anything structural, I made a hardpoint specific to the
> application.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> **
>
> *Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
> *Velocity XL-RG, 65% complete
> Currently working on: Pitot-static plumbing
>
> *From:*Reflector [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
> <mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org>] *On Behalf Of *Phil Hooper
> via Reflector
> *Sent:* Monday, December 15, 2014 5:53 PM
> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> *Subject:* REFLECTOR: Question about installing clamps
>
> Collective:
>
>
> I've noticed on some Velocities that builders have fastened rubber
> lined cable clamps inside the fuselage and nose directly to the
> skin using screws, going into the foam. I thought we were to
> always install hard points.
>
> One builder has advised he has driven screws in the skin and never
> had one vibrate loose.
>
> I've thought about drilling a small hole, injecting cabo, flox or
> micro and then driving in the screw.
>
> What's the established, safe practice? I'm hoping to avoid a
> jungle of hard points which seems overkill.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
>
> --
>
>
> --
> *Phil Hooper
> *President*
> Harvest Development & Media Inc.*
> 19851 Yorba Linda Blvd., Suite 204
> Yorba Linda, CA 92886
>
> *voice:*714.693.8745 <tel:714.693.8745>
> *fax:*714.777.0134 <tel:714.777.0134>
> *web:* http://www.hdmnet.com/
> *email:* phil at hdmnet.com <mailto:phil at hdmnet.com>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20141217/8c91363a/attachment-0001.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list