REFLECTOR: GNS 480-ADS-B

Lawrence Epstein via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Thu Aug 21 11:04:40 CDT 2014


I just wanted to correct something I wrote previously about this.

The correct info is that the ADS-B out requires the GPS info over a serial
data stream. The older Garmin products (specifically the CNX-80/GNS480)
send that info only over the ARINC. This (according to Garmin) will be
"corrected" in an upcoming software update.

On the other end, the extended squitter device will take the info from the
serial stream, without any knowledge as to whether it comes from a
certified source, and broadcast it, thereby "satisfying" ADS-B out. This is
currently permitted, although it won't be, once the new certification goes
into effect.

In my case, the GRT is getting the GPS info from the 480 and "repackaging"
it and sending it to the Trig over the serial port. Once the new software
is available from Garmin, I will run a serial directly from the 480 to the
Trig and therefore be "legal" for the future (although the actual function
will not change).

Larry
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140821/ea7d0678/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list