REFLECTOR: N585V XL/FG main gear failure

Brian Michalk via Reflector reflector at tvbf.org
Sun Aug 17 10:19:05 CDT 2014


Interesting.  I had never seen that torsional wrap failure.

I've had some nasty landings, and a bad aborted takeoff, resulting in 
gear hop.  I have not seen any damage, and am amazed at how strong the 
gear is.  I never considered it would fail under anything less than a crash.

In looking at Brett's repair, he's got some sort of material covering 
his interior.  What is that, and where do you get it?  It looks like an 
adhesive drop cloth.
http://www.kal-soft.com/velocity/images%5Cpic2323l.jpg


On 08/17/2014 10:03 AM, Brett Ferrell via Reflector wrote:
> No, at least on the first, the torsional wrap failed on Andy's gear, 
> rendering it a wet noodle... start at picture 2301... (prior to 
> winning the Linday - WOW)... http://www.kal-soft.com/velocity/
> Can't tell what happened here really, except the gear leg is laying on 
> the ground... I'm not sure how you get that unless you cut it in half, 
> even without the bolt how does it come out of the fuselage?  The main 
> gear box is so strong, and against the firewall... plus if you look at 
> the other picture, the copilot leg section is still there.  It causes 
> me to speculate he lost the torsional wrap, and it broke (pilot side 
> of the leg) after leaving the pavement and getting into that ditch, 
> but that's all just my guesswork...
> --
> Brett Ferrell
> reflector at velocityxl.com
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2014, at 10:27 AM, Brian Michalk wrote:
>> Fixed gear failure?
>> This is the first I've heard of such a thing.
>> Did the main gear bolts fail?  Those things are massive.
>> On 08/17/2014 07:59 AM, Brett Ferrell via Reflector wrote:
>>> I'm glad everyone's OK, but it looks like the wing got dragged and 
>>> maybe the prop... and it's the second XL/FG main gear incident this 
>>> year.  Now I'm beginning to wonder... is Dick Harpster on the list?  
>>> Can you give us any insight?
>>> http://www.thepilot.com/news/small-plane-crash-lands-at-carthage-airport/article_e0e9cf84-256c-11e4-88e6-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=image&photo=1
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> Brett Ferrell
>>> bferrell at fastmail.fm <mailto:bferrell at fastmail.fm>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visithttp://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery!www.tvbf.org/gallery  <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives:www.tvbf.org/pipermail  <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>>> Check old archives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>> Email had 1 attachment:
>>
>>   * |Attachment2.2|
>>       94k (image/jpeg)
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140817/83f63a6b/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 83811 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140817/83f63a6b/attachment-0002.jpe>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 70377 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140817/83f63a6b/attachment-0003.jpe>


More information about the Reflector mailing list