REFLECTOR: Water injection
Richard J. Gentil
richard at naples-air-center.com
Thu Apr 3 22:59:36 CDT 2014
Hi Geoff,
You can achieve better cooling by climbing using lean of peak mixture setting if you have an engine analyzer especially with a turbo charged engine. If you are still a little too warm you can pull back the prop a little. The less explosions per minute, the cooler the engine will run.
Richard
Sent from my iPhone 5 Classic
> On Apr 3, 2014, at 10:41 PM, Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Guys,
>
> I've been considering using water injection to keep cylinder temps down on climb. Seems like a better idea than running full rich all the way up. It looks pretty straightforward, but I'm wondering if there's a reason why others don't use it more. For those who are not familiar with water injection, essentially, you spray water (or a water/methanol mix) into the intake (typically before the fuel servo). The large heat of vaporization of water pulls a lot of heat out. Plus, you get a bit of a performance boost both by lowering the inlet charge temperature as well as the steam expansion during the power stroke. Another nice benefit is that your pistons get a nice steam cleaning with every stroke.
>
>
> I figure a 5gal tank would do more than enough for a few trips if only used on climb. I have had some high temps when cruising at high altitudes as well, which it might help with.
>
> I'd welcome any
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list