REFLECTOR: Water injection

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 21:42:04 CDT 2014


oops, sent the message before I was through.

Anyway, I'd welcome anyones' input if they have any experience with water
injection.  Here's a wikipedia page on it with lots of good info on how its
been used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engines)

Thanks.

Geoff


On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 10:41 PM, Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I've been considering using water injection to keep cylinder temps down on
> climb.  Seems like a better idea than running full rich all the way up.  It
> looks pretty straightforward, but I'm wondering if there's a reason why
> others don't use it more.  For those who are not familiar with water
> injection, essentially, you spray water (or a water/methanol mix) into the
> intake (typically before the fuel servo).  The large heat of vaporization
> of water pulls a lot of heat out.  Plus, you get a bit of a performance
> boost both by lowering the inlet charge temperature as well as the steam
> expansion during the power stroke.  Another nice benefit is that your
> pistons get a nice steam cleaning with every stroke.
>
>
> I figure a 5gal tank would do more than enough for a few trips if only
> used on climb.  I have had some high temps when cruising at high altitudes
> as well, which it might help with.
>
> I'd welcome any
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20140403/497a533a/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list